Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aabutin

Companions for salvia?

aabutin
17 years ago

Most of the time I see that salvias themselves are recommended as companions to other plants. But I've developed a fondness for my salvia greggiis and microphyllas that I'm thinking of designing a front yard bed of them. What companion plants do you recommend for salvias? I'm looking for evergreen perennials that I hope will disguise my crape myrtle shrubs during the winter. In my zone it can grow intolerably hot, so I'm also looking for heat-hardy plants. However I would love to hear how you planted your salvias, so please share. :D

Comments (10)

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

My many different salvias are mixed in with;
    ground roses... my favorite is Sunrunner;
    various small trees.... Vitex, Fig, dwarf Citrus, fruit trees.... peaches, pluots, cherries, apriums and apricots;
    RockRose (Cistus purpures),
    Rosemary,
    Agaves,
    Texas Ranger ( Leucophyllum frutescans),
    Russian Sage (Perovskia),
    Yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora),
    Wall Germander (Teucrium chamaedrys),
    grapes,
    Matilija Poppy (Romneya),
    Lavanders,
    Jerusalem Sage )Phlomis),
    Germander (Teucrium fruticans),
    Desert Spoon (Dasylirion wheeleri),
    Daylilies,
    Irises,
    Butterfly Bush (Buddleia),
    Broom (Cystis),
    Brugmansias.

They all work well in a very full, blousy way.

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

Also, Betsy Clebsch's Books on Salvias usually give a listing of the plants that compliment each Salvia. I, personally, haven't tried using her recommendations, but they are there.

• youreit
    17 years ago

I'm trying a combo I read about online that mixes Salvia 'Caradonna' with Sedum (Hylotelephium) 'Matrona', but there are about as many combinations as you can imagine.

I have a salmon-colored S. x jamensis with the dark purple heliotrope potted up behind it; 'Sierra San Antonio' growing up amongst some lavender Lantana montevidensis; and S. officinalis 'Purpurascens' with Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'.

Brenda

• tabassam
    17 years ago

Good question. I like lamb's ears, ornamental grasses, irises. I'm having a hard time intergrating so many different salvias with complementary plants too. Right now, all of my coccineas are blooming and my garden is only 5 months old so the other perennials I've planted are small and so my border looks like a mish-mash of salvias. Full of spikes and not much foliage interest. I think maybe plants with strong pretty foliage would look nice. Laperouse's combo sounds beautiful.

• shari1332
    17 years ago

I asked basically the same question on the Carolinas forum. Some suggestions: Rudbeckia maxima, Salvia argentea and forskaohlei, Lepichinia hastata, coleus and other foliage annuals, dwarf cannas, dwarf elephant ears, upright sedums(I'm going to try 'Matrona'). If I lived in Texas I would definitely use all of the smaller agaves and bear grass. I already use Purple Heart and Bath's Pink Dianthus for contrast plus some Yuccas and Bearded Iris. I'm thinking about using Eucomis too.

• shari1332
    17 years ago

I was looking for plants with bold foliage but don't forget groundcovers. Low growing Blue Spruce and Angelina sedums like similar conditions and provide good accent. Hens and Chicks and thymes work great too. Artemesia 'Powis Castle' is a great blending plant for me. Rainlillies mixed in would be great too.

• Connie Bookless
    6 years ago

I have stuck with a white/pink/purple/blue palette with my 56 varieties of salvias that I have in one garden. The garden has many 'standard' crepe myrtles so we have winter sun & summer shade. My companions are lavenders, white & pink gaura, catmint, lambs ears, white geraniums, pink daisies, blue & white plumbago, white yarrow, white astilbe, plectranthus silver spur flower, & pentstemon. I would welcome any other suggestions for my colour palette.

• kali_deere
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

hm, I haven't personally done this, but if you're like me and like to play with color schemes and heights, I might plant some small crocus bulbs in front of the salvia in clusters. Not like a ton of them but maybe a dozen or less between plants might be a cute addition :) or maybe certain varieties of bleeding hearts might provide an interesting shape and texture contrast

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have salvia madrensis with Philippine violet and giant Mexican turkscap. They have similar bloom times. The American beauty bush id not far away and it is in full berry with the leaves turning yellow. Not bad.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider