Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandnsage

Salvia dorrii locations etc...

sandnsage
9 years ago

Hi Again,
It has been a while since I Posted, but I wanted to give a little update on my project. I have been trying to grow both dorrii and pachyphylla in an area where they are not. I really don't know why there is no dorrii is Shelter Valley, CA as it would seem to be a perfect location. If anybody has any ideas I would be very interested!!!!! I have had very marginal success in getting dorrii established. I can get the seeds started and plants up to about 2" and transplant them into the ground. Most perish at that point. So, I am wondering if anybody can tell me where I could find some native stands? Maybe I can learn something from looking at them in the wild! I will be headed down HWY 395 from Bishop to Landcaster in about 2 weeks. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could give me some coordinates or...? of some dorrii locations. An email works great as well.
Now for the success!!!!The pachyphylla have been a different story!!!! I have some bushes that are now 14" x 14" and were just beginning to bloom when I had to leave on a trip for a month. I sure hope they're still blooming when I get back!!!!!!! I would like to post some photos if they still are, and wonder if anybody could send me in the right direction on how to do this!
I also planted 12 'Mulberry Flame' and they seem to be taking off, so will be excited on updating you all on this!
Many thanks for the advice and help, both past and present!!!

Comments (5)

• rich_dufresne
    9 years ago

What is "Mulberry Flame"? Nothing plant related shows up on Google.

• mohavemaria
    9 years ago

Rich,
    Mulberry Flambé is a variety of salvia pachyphylla from high country gardens.

Sandnsage
    I've tried to grow Dorrii many times here in Las Vegas but it's just too hot for it. I have seen it an hour from here growing wild in the mountains. It is very drought tolerant but I just don't think it likes a lot of heat. I love pachyphylla though and have had success until we started getting even hotter than our old normal. Love clevelandii also.

Maria

• sandnsage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We'll now that is weird! I thought I had replied to Rich but I wonder what happened to my reply? Anyway...
    Maria,
    Thanks for replying and MANY thanks for the VERY insightful information about dorrii!!!! Maybe that is my problem, as I think our summers would be very similar to yours!
    How long do your pachyphylla plants live? I have absolutely loved the photos of the pachyphylla you posted in years past!!!!
    Any suggestions on varieties of cleavlandi?
    Thanks again!!!!

• salviakeeper
    9 years ago

Hello Sandnsage,

Your project continues to sound interesting and pushing the envelope on salvias outside their habitat is always fun and a challenge. Dorrii is a touchy species. I would try to get them more established in the pot before transplanting into the ground. 2" seedlings in the pot are usually a little frail. I'd wait till you have some woody trunk material before sinking them into the ground. I would also use some of the native soil from the area where you are going to plant in your potting mix. I agree with Maria in that the heat factor is not in their favor for survival. I think you're already in the Sonora desert and I'm not sure if dorrii goes into that zone . Personally, I've always had success finding dorrii wherever I've found Joshua trees and even the Joshua Juniper woodlands, like at the top of El Cajon Pass near Victorville, Hesperia and Phelan and also in the Lancaster area, like near Quartz Hill where there is a sprinkling of remaining Joshua trees. I've also seen some spectacular dorrii scapes in the Mojave Preserve at the base of the New York and Providence Mtns where I've even found it literally intertwined with Salvia mohavensis. Usually find them in canyons and arroyos where they get more h20.
    Good luck!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I am growing Salvia dorii v. in canna Robusta that I got from High Country Gardens.I know either a cultivar or a ⢠variation. I am in Texas and so far so good , BUT it is still the mild part of the summer. We are just now getting are first upper 90's. I am in Z 8b almost 8a. It is rated on the HCG site as Z5- 8. It made it through the humid part of the summer and we are drying out now.