Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freytam

May Night Salvia - how fast is growth?

freytam
18 years ago

I'm planning a flowerbed with Stella D'oros, May Night Salvia, orange marigolds and blue ageratum.....What size salvia will I need to start with to have a nice show of color? Will a 4 inch pot grow enough this year for my expectations to meet my imagination or will I need a 6 inch or gallon size?

I'm new to gardening, so I have no idea what to expect for a salvia growth rate.

Thanks for any advice that you may have! Tamra

Comments (6)

• Carol_Ann
    18 years ago

A 4" pot might not fit your size expectations this year but they grow fast and by next year it'll be making a nice full plant, and in a few years you'll have plenty to divide. Personally, I'd go with 3-5 4" pots, but if you want maximum impact the first year you'll want the larger pots.

• freytam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

THANKS SO MUCH!! TAMRA

• Archduke
    18 years ago

Just thought I'd throw in a comment about May Night. I planted a one gallon several weeks ago, and it has been knocking my socks off. What a great plant! My East Friesland salvias have also been good.

Randy

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

Hey Tamra!
    I just purchased 3 1-gallons of 'May Night' and was wondering about the growth/spread too. I really wanted to replace all of my liriope clumps with 'May Night' (I'd need a heck of alot more), but DH, who knows nothing about flowers, said it looked like a fierce spreader. But now, I'm wondering where I'll even put these 3. There's always the extend-a-bed option ;)
    Tracey

• Adam_Moore
    18 years ago

May Night will spread a bit but it won't become invasive or anything. It would look really good replacing the liriope as long as you can keep it deadheaded to promote reblooming. One plant will end up covering an area between 2 and 3 feet and up to 18 inches tall.

• Angoisette
    18 years ago

Adam-

I am also new at gardening, and my usual question is thus; how DO you deadhead a salvia? Just pull out the spent blossoms from the spike, or cut the spike off below the flowers once all are spent? My May Night is gorgeous, and I'd like to keep her that way.