Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shipping charges

Posted by marilyn_fl zone 9 Florida (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 20:01

I live in Florida and have been trying to buy a salvia black and blue plant. I cant seem to find this plant in my area.I can find the plant for $4-$9 on the Internet. The problem is the shipping charges are $15. These are from states not all that far from Florida. I noticed some places are even charging for packaging. Guess I will put this plant on a forget it list for now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shipping charges

You need to remember that plants need to be sent as quickly as possible and so the cost is greater. I always make sure my order is worth the postage.

o

Shipping one plant is expensive anywhere. As the size of the order increases, the cost per plant decreases. That's why planning your mail order purchases is so important.

o

The USPS Priority Mail is still the cheapest way to ship. Here in the SE USA, minimal shipping charges for a small order went recently from about $7 to $9 with the new rates earlier this year.

o

Try Ebay or seeds.

o

Most of my local nurseries will special order a plant (three out of four so far, and I haven't tried the fourth yet), typically with no extra cost or shipping charge. While the occasional rare plant can't be special ordered, common plants like Black and Blue are commonly available. Just phone your local nurseries. Total cost of the plant will be less than the USPS shipping cost.

o

Google wholesale growers and ask who buys black n blue from them. Surprised you can't find as it should do well in ur area , perhaps you can't find NOW b/c out of season but not b/c rare. $15 is about as cheap as it's gonna get for a single plant. There are economies of scale if you get 3-4. Almost same shipping cost

o

Correct tip : ....ask who from ur area buys black n blue from said growers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here