Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deadheading red salvia

Posted by josal 4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 20:11

Dumb Question: I planted 'Lady In Red' for the first time last season and had NO hummingbirds stop by. I didn't deadhead them because they never looked (to me) like they were done blooming. So what I need to know is do I take each individual blossom off or do I cut the whole group off lower down?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deadheading red salvia

If you leave the flower spikes alone I've noticed they sometimes continue to spit out one or two blooms for a while, even if the spike is largely spent. What I do is just cut off the spikes once they are mostly spent.

o

josal:
You can as hawkeye suggested you should also have some seedlings start showing up. It may take a while for the
Hummers to find your Salvia's I have a whole yard full
of different species and they are still finding it. I
have 1-2 hummers visit on their way from and then back to wintering area's in Mexico
Art

o

Thank you both for your advice. I haven't planted yet as we had frost last night and it's forecast for tonight, but I'm looking forward to happy hummers this season.

o

Hummingbird certainly use all the types of coccinea. The only downside to the species is flowering shuts down in the afternoon in really hot weather. Most of us who grow lots of coccinea, at least the ones I know, do not deadhead them. There is no reason since their continuous growth covers up most of the seedheads. Coccinea is also an excellent plant for seed eating birds. Goldfinches take the seed as it ripens and migrant sparrows like White-throated Sparrows use it all winter. It is an amazingly abundant seeder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here