Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoebe1969_gw

Salvias for HOT afternoon sun

phoebe1969
18 years ago

I am finding that my oak tree in one area and my house in another are allowing me some space to put Salvias that will take only hot afternoon sun. Meaning sun from 1 or 2 p.m. in one area until 5 p.m. and the other from 1 p.m. until sundown. We have dry heat and can get into the 100's sometimes in the summer for a week or 2. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

I trying to think of what never wilts:
    S. clevelandii
    the greggiis
    Marachino Cherry -- S. gramhammii x lemmmonii
    S. mellissodoro
    I'm sure there are others, but not in my garden.

• skrip
    18 years ago

LEUCANTHA!!!! (Mexican Bush Sage)

Mine gets direct sun from about 12 til sundown and it is huge!

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

Oh, there are lots of Salvias, including the beautiful leucantha, that adore hot sun. I guess I was thinking of those more drought tolerant... but that's not what you asked for. Sorry.

• toyon
    18 years ago

Most of them will tolerate full sun and heat. You should probably stick to those that will tolerate dry conditions. Most of California's native oaks don't like summer irrigation.

I often see Salvia spathacea growing under oaks in the hot foothills around King City and Paso Robles.

• BecR
    18 years ago

I have a really hot, sunny area, but it will get watered daily in the heat of summer. Am thinking of getting a leucantha... Can you keep the leucantha a 3 ft tall by 3 ft wide size? If so, when should pruning be done each year? I am planing on getting one (a 1 gallon) to put near a walkway, and need to keep it within bounds. (Do you think the pruple and white or the pure purple is a prettier plant? Do they get the same size?) Becky

• lunita
    18 years ago

There's a smaller variety of leucantha -- Santa Barbara -- that would fit that space well.

-Kristy

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia leucantha

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

I'd go with xeric Salvias like melissodora, chamaedryoides, chionophylla, and many of the Turkish/Central Asian ones like argentea, moorcroftiana, and caespitosa. Some of the South African species might also work, like chamelaeagnea, africana lutea (aurea), and scabra.

Most of these have small leaves with gray hairs, and thin woody stems.

• skrip
    18 years ago

BecR, was just gonna say Santa Barbara. Mexican Bush Sage is awesome, but it will hit 4 feet pretty fast and it can flop if there is rain and look untidy, plus it doesnt like too much water either.

• BecR
    18 years ago

Lunita, Skrip, thanks so much for getting my question answered. This looks like it may be the plant for me. Not sure about the color and size though.

So, the regular Leucantha, can it be kept shorter (like 3 ft)?

Lunita, the thread says SB only grows 24 inches?

Becky

Sponsored