Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Found Salvia microphylla 'Cerro Potosi'

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

I found Salvia microphylla 'Cerro Potosi at Lowe's in a gallon pot. I love the color. Hope it does well. It says it's hardy to zone 6.

Comments (6)

• nuthatch_mo
    16 years ago

Christie, what Lowes did you find it at. The one I go to never has anything good. I am near Warsaw, MO.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Nuthatch - I bought it at the Lowe's on the north side of Springfield. It was in a gallon pot for $6.50 and had a few flowers (pink) on it already. I think they had just got it in, unless I just didn't see it when I was there a few days ago. If it returns next year, I got a good deal. lol Are you wintering over some zone-iffy salvias in the ground or do you have a greenhouse?

• nuthatch_mo
    16 years ago

Christie, have a very large heated sun porch. So I grow them in large pots and keep them there or take cuttings to overwinter. Had S. greggii Furmans Red and Black and Blue in ground and they both came back. I made 5 new beds last fall so this year will leave more in the ground, mulch, mulch, mulch and see what happens. My hubby has been talking about building me a greenhouse, but when he will get to it is anyones guess.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I envy your sun porch. I like keeping stuff in the ground but you never know what the winter is going to be like. I lost two of my three greggi this winter. Cherry Queen made it thankfully. It's my favorite greggi so far. I haven't tried Furmans Red. I wonder how hardy the Navajo series is. I've seen those at a couple nurseries here. K-Mart had it surprisingly.
    Looks like I lost 3 of my 4 guaranitica too. I keep checking to see if anything's coming up but the one that's up is almost a foot tall now, so I think the others are history. They grow salvia darcyi in the Master Gardener's demonstration garden here and I got a start of it last year. It made it through the winter in the ground for me.
    I just almost went by Lowe's today to pick up another Cerro Potosi. If I knew for sure that it would be hardy, I'd buy another one.

• nuthatch_mo
    16 years ago

Glad to know the S. darcyi will make it in ground. I have mine in a large pot and brought it inside for the winter. Will put it in the ground. Did you give yours any special care? I haven't been able to find any other S. Greggii. Went to the plant sale up at Powell Gardens, they were suppose to have Wild Thing, but were sold out by the time I got there. Thats where I got the Furmans Red last year. I hate to order anything from a nursery online, have had too many plants bite the dust. The plants are usually so small and can't hold up to the shipping abuse. I sure hope my Lowes gets in some of the S. microphylla CP.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A KMart here had a couple different greggi Navajo in 3 gallon pots. I think they were $9.99. I wasn't sure whether a big one like that would have a better chance. It seems like it would.

I never mulch anything although I probably should. I have trouble finding time and most of my iffy plants that need protection don't like to stay wet so I just leave them alone.