Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black and blue question

Posted by eddie10 SE Mi. (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 20:42

First time having black and blue salvia and was wondering if putting one in a half barrel would be a good idea?---if so --what kind of soil would you recommend? thanks---ED

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black and blue question

the half whisky barel will do just fine. Your B&B will eventually send out new plnts all through the barrel and fill it in. At that point, you'll need to divide it.
Any GOOD potting mix will work well for you just make sure your getting enough drainage.

o

• Posted by Skrip z9/sun19/SoCal. (My Page) on
    Tue, May 17, 05 at 12:52

And to divide it you just pull the new bottom growth? I am experimenting with rooting some from cutting, but my main plant has new little 'babies' around it. I tried digging one up and realized it was connected to the main plant since I couldnt find its roots.

I would like to take some of the new babies and put them in another planter, but was told its best to move only if it has roots.

o

The B&B should do really great in a half barrel.

o

Skrip,
You might want to wait a little while if the new ones don't have roots of their own yet. The new roots should come about quikly.
IF you want to try rooting a few cuttings, go ahead. I find that the Guaraniticas are some of the easiest plants to root.
Adam.

o

• Posted by Skrip z9/sun19/SoCal. (My Page) on
    Thu, May 19, 05 at 12:47

I have a little cutting in a tiny pot with miracle gro soil and a plastic cover on it. Looks like it is working a bit. It had a flower spike in the middle that was just growing, I pinched it off and stuck it in leaving 2 leaves on both sides of it. WHere I pinched it seems to be growing new little leaves. Im hoping in a couple of weeks I can plant it.

o

The new growth is a good sigh. It usually takes about three weeks to make sure it has enough roots to survive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here