hybridsage
12 years ago

I have a Salvia urica that has silver undersides to the leaves

does anyone know which form this is?

Thanks

Art

Comments (9)

• kermitc

Two different forms growing here - none with a silver underside. The one we are increasing has light hairs underneath.

Both were from seed, both claimed to be the "true" urica, and both had subtle differences between seedlings. I selected the strongest and nicest flowering of these for vegetative increase.

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will.

Kermit

• kermitc

Two different forms growing here - none with a silver underside. The one we are increasing has light hairs underneath.

Both were from seed, both claimed to be the "true" urica, and both had subtle differences between seedlings. I selected the strongest and nicest flowering of these for vegetative increase.

Kermit

• kermitc

Kermit

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

Are you sure that it is a S. urica and not a hybrid? I have had 3 forms of S. urica, don't recall silver undersides, though.

Robin.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Robin:
    It could be a hybrid. It was sold to me as S. urica but
    has not bloomed yet. The only other S. urica I have seen
    had green foliage similar to S.coccinea. There are several\
    form I have not seen. One of these day's I will start posting pictures.The only form I have seen was the U.C. Berkely form
    Have not seen the the short form or J.L.Hutson form. I have a new camera waiting for better weather to try and get some pics to post.
    Art

• bbarnes001
    12 years ago

Mine has silver/white undersides. I only have the one form so i dont have anything to compare it to. But, Robin you looked at it by the flowers and thought it was S. urica. I was unsure a while back. I got mine from cuttings at the Botanical gardens here at the university. I have pictures of the flowers if anyone wants to see. Its in flower now and will be for months to come. Just email me.

Brent

• annette68_gw
    12 years ago

Email me some pics would love to look;)

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

Salvia urica is a strange Salvia. Very beautiful. Freely self seeds, even if not hardy.

There is a beautiful, compact form, 2 ft x 2 ft, which is a gem. But seeds from this revert to the very tall and slightly aggressive form. I suspect that this originated with dwarfing agents being used........common in Holland. But cuttings from this are just perfect. No silver undersides, more a lime-green.

• kermitc
    12 years ago

We are currently trialing this species as a flowering potted plant. I believe that with PGRs it will be short and compact enough to be a hit, but the untreated plants are starting to get pretty tall. The flowers do attract attention!

Kermit

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals