Sat, May 28, 11 at 21:16

I have a Salvia urica that has silver undersides to the leaves
does anyone know which form this is?
Thanks
Art

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which form of Salvia urica?

Are you sure that it is a S. urica and not a hybrid? I have had 3 forms of S. urica, don't recall silver undersides, though.

Robin.

o

Robin:
It could be a hybrid. It was sold to me as S. urica but
has not bloomed yet. The only other S. urica I have seen
had green foliage similar to S.coccinea. There are several\
form I have not seen. One of these day's I will start posting pictures.The only form I have seen was the U.C. Berkely form
Have not seen the the short form or J.L.Hutson form. I have a new camera waiting for better weather to try and get some pics to post.
Art

o

• Posted by KermitC right on the edge of (My Page) on
    Mon, May 30, 11 at 21:16

Two different forms growing here - none with a silver underside. The one we are increasing has light hairs underneath.

Both were from seed, both claimed to be the "true" urica, and both had subtle differences between seedlings. I selected the strongest and nicest flowering of these for vegetative increase.

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will.

Kermit

o

Mine has silver/white undersides. I only have the one form so i dont have anything to compare it to. But, Robin you looked at it by the flowers and thought it was S. urica. I was unsure a while back. I got mine from cuttings at the Botanical gardens here at the university. I have pictures of the flowers if anyone wants to see. Its in flower now and will be for months to come. Just email me.

Brent

o

Email me some pics would love to look;)

o

Salvia urica is a strange Salvia. Very beautiful. Freely self seeds, even if not hardy.

There is a beautiful, compact form, 2 ft x 2 ft, which is a gem. But seeds from this revert to the very tall and slightly aggressive form. I suspect that this originated with dwarfing agents being used........common in Holland. But cuttings from this are just perfect. No silver undersides, more a lime-green.

o

We are currently trialing this species as a flowering potted plant. I believe that with PGRs it will be short and compact enough to be a hit, but the untreated plants are starting to get pretty tall. The flowers do attract attention!

Kermit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here