Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me make the most of my salvia please!

Posted by jessie21 zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 21:43

i have one nice blue salvia (it may be may night or something similar) that is about 7-8 years old, has been divided (to give to friends) a couple of times. i just love it and would like to know the best way to keep it blooming and beautiful all summer. it is just beginning to bloom now and will be fantastic in another week or two. i usually just cut fading blooms as i notice them fading. they do bloom again, but not nearly as nicely and brightly. they are kind of scrawny and droopy compared to the first bloom. any suggestions? should i fertilize and if so, when or how often? any special timing or manner of cutting back or is cutting faded blooms all i can do? i know they can look better throughout the summer than mine do. help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me make the most of my salvia please!

After the bloom is finished try pruning it back a bit, not just deadheading it --- how far I can't say because you don't know the variety.

o

thank you westelle. i will try that. how about fertilizer? should i use it and if so, when?

o

A little general garden fertilizer wouldn't hurt... kinda like salt & peppering... once a season. I like the kind of fertilizers that dissolve over a long period of time, like Osmocote. (sp?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here