Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huachuma

Salvia cedrosensis...

huachuma
16 years ago

I went to the UC Davis spring plant sale this morning and picked up the only specimen of Salvia cedrosensis that I saw there (others may have got to the table before I did). I knew nothing of the plant and bought in 'on spec.' and I don't find a whole lot of information on the web about this species, but it seems like I can give it the conditions it needs here in Sacramento.

Has anyone had any experience with this Salvia? I did a search on this forum, but got zero results.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia cedrosensis

Comments (10)

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

If you are in California zone 9, you should be fine as long as you provide both soil and air drainage. This species is a distinct disjunct with its cousins S. chamaedryoides, S. lycioides, S. muelleri, S. coahuilensis, and S. chionophylla, all of which are on the Chihuahuan side of the Sierras (Rocky Mountains to us). These have a similar culture.

• huachuma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply Rich. I'm not so worried about providing proper summer conditions, but I'm sure that we get much cooler and damper winter weather than it normally experiences off the coast of Baja.

I plan on putting it in the ground and will give it very good drainage and southern exposure, but I can't control the consecutive days of fog that we sometimes get that time of year. Other arid/semi arid species such as S. greggii, apiana, and leucantha do great here.

It was only a few dollars, so I guess I'll do what I can and keep my fingers crossed...

Thanks again,

Mike

• dicot
    16 years ago

The Salvia cedrosensis "Baja Blanca" looks like it might just be the right plant for under my Fremontodendron. It's a small list of plants that can go 6 months without water like the Fremontodendron needs.

• huachuma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just an update... When I bought my plant a couple of weeks ago (in a 2" pot; most likely a rooted cutting) there was no evidence of budding/flowering.

Here it is today. Sorry about the contrasty image, but I didn't have time to set up the picture properly before I went to work this AM...

Mike

• youreit
    16 years ago

Oooo, so pretty! Love those leaves, too. Do they smell good? :)

Brenda

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Mike,

That is a beautiful picture! I tried to grow this in the UK, but it was very reluctant to flower. Good luck with this.

Robin.

• huachuma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Brenda and Robin!

The leaves do have a fairly delicate "pineappley" scent. Not too strong. It's been a while since I've grown Pineapple Sage, so I can't really say that it smells similar. It reminds me a bit of Pineapple-Weed, Chamomilla suaveolens, but much less overpowering.

I still haven't chosen an exact location in the desert garden for it (I'm a little afraid to commit). Hopefully it will survive the relatively mild winters we get here in Sacramento...

Mike

• youreit
    16 years ago

Here's what Betsy Clebsch says about your plant in her book, Mike (it sounds like it'll be happy here in Sac!) -

"...it is able to withstand flaming sunlight and searing temperatures as well as battering rains and wind. It thrives in full sun when planted in gritty soil on the south side of a rocky mound. The rocks give off reflected heat and supply some small protection from the wind. Water the plant regularly until well established, after which only occasional water is necessary. I have not grown the plant long enough to determine its hardiness, but it has survived temperatures in the low 30s F. Propagation is by seed or cuttings."

Brenda

• Bryan Lampl
    13 years ago

Just putting a 'Baja blanca' in my yard, looks to be a great addition to a drought tolerant garden.

• voodoobrew
    12 years ago

I bought the last 2 S. cedrosensis plants at the Cabrillo sale last weekend. I had been on the lookout for it for a while! They are about to flower. The stems seem pretty brittle; some broke off on the trip home. I am trying to root them.

Sponsored