Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grow S. greggii 'Dark Dancer' from cuttings?

Posted by pfmastin 7b N. Carolina (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 22:20

Can I grow Salvia greggii 'Dark Dancer' from cuttings now?
Thanks in advance.
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grow S. greggii 'Dark Dancer' from cuttings?

Absolutely. Hardier greggii have survived for me even when planted out in July. They will probably even bloom this fall.

o

Is it correct that Salvia Dark Dancer is actually cross between S. muelleri and S. microphylla? It's usually listed as a S. greggii. See description in link:

Here is a link that might be useful: San Marcos Growers

o

Salvia greggii Dark Dancer is a release of M. Nevin Smith, before he joined Suncrest Nursery and while he had his own place. It was a spontaneous hybrid, as I recall, and is certainly mostly greggii. All microphylla hybrids have some microphylla traits, especially in the leaf margins. The only exceptions are those based on S. lemmonnii (more accurately, S. microphylla v. wislizenii), which has entire leaf margins like greggii.

My release Raspberry Royale is very similar, but is not as erect and has smaller, but more numerous flowers. Since I had a small collection at the time, I'm much more certain about the parentage.

o

I have had some powdery mildew prblems w/S"Dark Dancer"
but the occasional milk spray cleans it right up. I have
not had anything since. We have had a cool spring and "Dark Dancer" has been blooming for quite sometime. Happy as can be.Good time to get cuttings going as well.
Art

o

My S.greggii Dark Dancer has never had a powdery mildew problem. But we never have much humidity. It never blooms as well as most of my other S. greggii. But saying that it looks great today.

I am still bothered by once a week 31 degree nighttime temps, 30-60 mph wind gusts, and hail last week.

o

desertsage:
We had hail last year everything survived 1" size hail just looked really bad for a while.
Sorry to hear about the winds sounds bad.
Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here