Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jchristy_grower

yellowing salvia

jchristy_grower
13 years ago

i am new to gardening and desperately trying to learn the many tricks of the trade, one of the plants i recently bought was a salvia (red and white) that has grown quite nicely but now the leaves are beginning to turn yellow. i live in se texas and the heat is turning up and we havent had much rain at all but i water every evening. can anyone tell me if i am watering too much, not enough, or is it just too hot or what. appreciative newbie.

Comments (3)

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Abnormal yellowing of leaves, followed by abnormal amounts of leaf drop might be an indication of root die-off. How loose is your soil, and does it have any humus in it? Leaf mold and finished compost are really good at relieving stress in Salvias.

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

Where in SE Texas are you?
    What is soil like Clay,Sand Etc..? FYI- my established
    S.greggii will start yellowing & dropping leaves
    when it gets dry.Here in Central Texas things are drying
    out already.So some have began to drop the larger "Rain induced foliage" and started replacing them w/ smaller leaves for better drought tolerance.
    The Plant you are describing sounds like S. microphylla
    "Hot Lips".Ours is planted in some shade and a well drained mix.We will look forward to hearing back from you.
    Art

• jonopp
    13 years ago

watering every day sounds like too much! Especially if you have clay soil/poor drainage...

It seems to me that yellow leaves in many instances can mean over-watering. (sometimes it's iron deficiency, as in citrus)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert