Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellowing salvia

Posted by jchristy_grower (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 22:20

i am new to gardening and desperately trying to learn the many tricks of the trade, one of the plants i recently bought was a salvia (red and white) that has grown quite nicely but now the leaves are beginning to turn yellow. i live in se texas and the heat is turning up and we havent had much rain at all but i water every evening. can anyone tell me if i am watering too much, not enough, or is it just too hot or what. appreciative newbie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellowing salvia

Abnormal yellowing of leaves, followed by abnormal amounts of leaf drop might be an indication of root die-off. How loose is your soil, and does it have any humus in it? Leaf mold and finished compost are really good at relieving stress in Salvias.

o

Where in SE Texas are you?
What is soil like Clay,Sand Etc..? FYI- my established
S.greggii will start yellowing & dropping leaves
when it gets dry.Here in Central Texas things are drying
out already.So some have began to drop the larger "Rain induced foliage" and started replacing them w/ smaller leaves for better drought tolerance.
The Plant you are describing sounds like S. microphylla
"Hot Lips".Ours is planted in some shade and a well drained mix.We will look forward to hearing back from you.
Art

o

watering every day sounds like too much! Especially if you have clay soil/poor drainage...

It seems to me that yellow leaves in many instances can mean over-watering. (sometimes it's iron deficiency, as in citrus)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here