Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvias have now gone to seed

Posted by mboston 9(fl) (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 22:29

I have a white and a red salvia that have now gone to seed. I wanted to let them so I could save the seed but now I want to cut them back and have them bloom again. That is possible here in hot Central Florida, correct? I think the names of them are Salvia coccinea (red) and Salvia farinacea (Victoria white). What about Mystic Spires? Can I cut it back now as well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvias have now gone to seed

Dead heading on sages will improve their appearances, but will not have much impact on the resumption of growth. To do that, the heads need to be cut off as soon as they are done blooming, so that the plant will put no energy into seed development and ripening.

o

So are you saying that they won't ever bloom again? I just assumed that they would send up new spikes from where they would be cut. Guess I should have paid more attention to this forum earlier!

o

No, I am saying that to keep plants blooming at their most frequent, you have to cut the old heads off before seeds start to develop. Most sages sold are perennials. Even most sold as annuals are really perennials that die off because they don't tolerate colder seasons. True annuals are monocarpic (bearing seed only once). After they make their usually abundant seed set, they run out of gas and die. These are the only plants that you have to dead head to keep alive.

o

Here in zone 9 Texas, we don't have to let the S. coccinea go to seed. It GOES to seed even if you dead head religiously. As the blooms at the top of the spike are opening, the seeds are popping out of the lower ones. Dead head yours and it will start blooming again.

o

Thanks, have done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here