Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Majesty

Posted by westelle z9 Fresno CA (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 22:51

I was feeling very lucky this spring after our unusually cold winter, I wasn't seeing that any of the more tender Salvias didn't make it. Now, As I'm cleaning out the monsters I'm finding the dead "bones" of S. guarentica Purple Majesty. Not a one survived no matter where they were planted. Curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Majesty

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 07 at 8:12

Ahh, that's too bad, Westelle! And curious, I agree. I assume they were established plantings. This was a strange weather year, but I'm thinking it didn't get down to 10F at your house. :)

Brenda

o

That is odd. Mine survived the winter of 05-06. It was one of the mildest winters we've ever had but temperatures must have gone lower than what you had this year. After the February and March we had here I don't expect to be so lucky again.

o

No, it didn't get that cold, and some were in protected areas. I was really surprised because other Salvias that are more tender and are more exposed survived just fine.

o

Me too, I used to live in zone 9 and remember what the weather was like. I'm still counting my losses here and haven't given up hope on many of the herbaceous sages like uliginosa, guarantica and a few others that have survived for years here. What surprised me was that some tiny seedlings of what appear to be greggii made it through the winter, the same winter that seems to have done in several years old Wild Watermelon microphyllas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here