Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Traveling' Salvia--Did this happen?

Posted by weeder_too 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 23:18

Two years ago, we put in some salvia plants in my friends' garden. Sorry, I don't know which kind, but it's one of the blue, spikey flowers, that I've seen a lot of over the years. Last summer they came right back, in a slightly larger cluster.

This year, not one salvia. But the neighbors had a salvia patch suddenly appear in their yard! About the same area my friends' covered last summer, but more sparse. And this weekend, the neighbors had even more, growing along their drive!

I've searched a good bit to find out how salvia spread, but have found nothing. We're all perplexed...did my friends' salvia "travel" to the neighbors' yard? If so, how?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Traveling' Salvia--Did this happen?

Bird droppings with your Salvia seeds inside.

o

Thank you, westelle. That had been one of my first thoughts, but then I read that salvia were difficult to propagate from seeds. And there are quite a few in the neighbors' yard.

Sure wish those birds had dropped some of those seeds in my friends' garden. The salvia were among my favorites, and I'll miss tending them this summer.

o

Salvia seeds are too soft to survive a predator's gut. It is more likely that the glutinous seed coat caused the seed to stick to some critter and was groomed off in a different location later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here