Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Salvia nutans

I am watching my Salvia nutans with great interest, it is making a nice inflorescence and I am hoping the neighborhood rabbit does not make the plant its next breakfast before I see its flowers! The plant is grown from seeds I obtained either from an enthusiast in Romania or I got them in a trade in GW. Robin, did your S. nutans make seeds? I sowed the rest of the seeds from that packet from Gardens North.

Joseph

Comments (11)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had meant to say I had sowed all the seeds from the packet from Gardens North but did not get any germination of the seeds.

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Joseph,

Remember that I told you that I thought your nutans seeds were not nutans, as the foliage was quite different from my previous nutans? Obviously variable, your nutans is simply outstanding, probably the most spectacular of all European Salvias. It set loads of seeds, 100s if not 1000s, but in a senior moment, I think I threw them away by accident!!! But now I have plenty of buds on the plant, and will take more care of this year's seeds!

Don't have a problem with rabbits here, but slugs and snails like nutans. Was not very pleased when my old cat poohed over the new shoots last month, but nutans did not mind!

This is a sensational Salvia, so different, and deserves to be more widely grown, even though the flowering period is short.

Regards, Robin.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the information, Robin. I hope my plant is from the same lot of seeds I sent to you. It was interesting growing it from seed. The first year (last year) it made a small basal rosette of leaves and did not grow very vigorously. I left the plant in a very small container over winter and it survived all the brutal temperatures we had in late winter here in the east. I popped it into the garden when I saw fast growth in the container and it soon put up the inflorescence. It is worth waiting for these plants to perform.

I will post more photos as the plant develops further.

Joseph

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Joseph:

I have plants from seeds I got from you this winter. They are exactly as you describe yours from last year. I put mine directly into the yard, though. I guess I shouldn't expect anything interesting this summer. Darn!

Becky

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Like many European and Turkish Salvias, nutans will normally flower in its second year! Frustrating, but well worth the wait!

Robin.

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Most of my European salvias are newly planted, so I guess I will have a real show next year. I only planted a few salvias last year, one being s. verticillata 'Purple Rain." Those plants have gotten enormous this year. I hope my new salvias will do the same next year, when they are established. I've planted them all over the front and back yard.

Becky

Original Author
    16 years ago

Send lots of photos, Becky!

Joseph

Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are a couple more images of S. nutans. The flowers are pushing their way out into view already!

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Those are really cool pictures, Joseph.

Becky

Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are some more images of the flowers that have opened up on Salvia nutans. Such a stunning flowering plant.

Joseph

• youreit
    16 years ago

So loverly! Love the the pendulous nature, too.

Brenda

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio