Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I prune Hot Lips now?

Posted by seachellelee 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 0:24

Hello,
I have a Hot Lips salvia in a planter on my deck, and it did great this spring with tons of blooms, but now it is getting leggy and hanging over the edge of the planter into the walkway on the deck. The stems are probably about 2.5' right now. Can I prune these back so they are not so unsightly? If so, how much can I safely take off? We are on the verge of 90 degree weather right now - not sure if this makes a difference on pruning or not. Thanks for any help you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I prune Hot Lips now?- Big Whoops!

Hello,

I just went out to my planter and found a half buried tag, and realized that what I have is NOT Hot Lips, but Navajo Red! Sometimes the flowers come with a mix of whitish-pink on them, so I think that's why I thought it was Hot Lips. Most of the flowers have been bright red, though. Sorry for this big faux pas - I am obviously new to salvias and don't know much about them. Thanks!

o
RE: Can I prune Hot Lips now?

There is no problem with pruning this sage now, as long as you don't remove more than 2/3 of the active foliage.

o

Thanks for the reply! I noticed that most of the stems have a single flower on the end of them, and it looks like there may be more coming (dark sheaths on the ends of the stems). If I trim these back, obviously I will lose these flowers, but will it encourage even more blooming later?

o

As fast as this plant grows, application of some humus and fertilizer will help blooming in the summer.

o

seashellelee

Regardless of what you have thought you might enjoy shots of my salvia microphylla hot lips. This is the third year for this plant and the best year in my zone 6 heat mid 90s this week. Its pretty easy to see I have bi-color, red and white all on this plant at the same time. And for hummingbird fans they hit my hot lips daily as you might imagine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here