Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dariotjr

Salvia relatives - the orange saturejas...

DariotJr
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I know we all have an addiction to salvias BUT to many of us this addiction spreads also to other mint family members...

after falling for Agastache, Teucrium, Poliomintha and Stachys, I recently discovered there are species of Satureja with orange flowers!

I've "discovered" the following:

S.mimuloides from Florida , which needs lots of moisture and doesn't exactly fit my way of xeriscape gardening here in Athens, Greece.

S.elliptica, which I got to see live in a trip to the Andes of Peru. I would describe it as a small shrub with all of its stem tips covered in orange tubular flowers... hmm.. quite like an orange Poliomintha! there is a picture online somewhere, google satureja elliptica and you'll see it

S.mexicana, my favorite one. I saw this one growing in UCBerkeley botanical gardens (in the mesoamerican section) and was really impressed! more like a "cross" between an orange agastache and a microphylla sage!!! a small perennial shrub full of bright orange flowers. I have a picture of it which I don't exactly know how to post to the forum.

S.guatemalensis (or S.seleriana)...again a shrub with orange flowers, never seen it though... just a pic on the web, which I actually can't find again.

Anyone out there who can contribute any info about these 'subtropical' saturejas? or maybe a source (plants or seeds?)

DJR

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES