Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lincann

salvia leaves curling

lincann
14 years ago

HELP! Monday I had 22 gorgeous, healthy, well-branched and blooming Salvia farinacea 'Victoria Blue'. Tuesday, I notice that one and part of another have a serious problem. I called several nurseries and described the problem, with various answers from root rot or fungus to aphids, so as I should have done in the first place, I'm counting on the geniuses at Gardenweb !

As you know, the leaf of a healthy Salvia fainacea is flat, soft and dull green. However, the leaves of the 'sick' plant has curled under (long-ways) VERY tightly, are deeper green and are VERY shiny on the underside where a healthy leaf is dull.

The second plant is starting to exhibit this same condition which seems to start at the top of the plant and quickly work down. I cut away the curled leaves yesterday and pulled back the mulch. The ground was slightly damp, not soaked. Shortly after that we got an inch of rain and more is expected today along with 90 degree temps.

I have always grown salvia in this bed and never had an issue. It is in full sun and well drained.

There is no sign of insects and it would have been impossible for it to have sustained herbicide damage (sort of what it looks like) without it also affecting the other nearby plants (damage is too selective).

The only thing I can come up with that is different this year from others is that I used the 'colored' black mulch instead of regular dark hardwood mulch (I believe it's colored with charcoal) and applied it about 2" thick. Last year I just put compost over the bed and other years a lighter layer of mulch.

I am so afraid the whole bed will be wiped out by what ever this problem is, so I'm anxious to hear back. We have been waiting for weeks for a landscaper to 'fix' our storm damaged front yard, so this one bed of salvia is the only beautiful thing happening in the front yard right now and I really need to save it. Thanks so much ! annie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida