Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helena_z8_ms

Question for Richard about Yvonne's seeds

helena_z8_ms
16 years ago

I know that Yvonne collected seeds from her salvia splendens when her plants reach 6 ft. She gave them to Emily to distribute all over the country. Emily's plants also reached 6ft and she gave her seeds out to garderners.

My plants start blooming at 3ft have seeds, bloom again at 4ft have more seeds and another flush of flowers at 5ft or so with seeds just before the frost gets them around Dec . Are seeds of a 3 ft plant only going to grow plants of 3ft? Should I only collect seeds of the 5 ft plant at the end of the season for bigger plants? It seems such a waste of seeds. Thank you for your help.

Helena

Comments (27)

• njoynit
    16 years ago

I never thought of it that way.I'm SE Tx.Mine don't even hit the 3ft mark.I've had 1 plant return from last year then WS some seeds from the group.right now both are same size.I've got seeds off one stem.most had just one seed,but midway up they had more.I sowed some in a few other spots then more around original planting.Mine are in total full sun.I water regularly.They had a low germination rate.out of 12 seedsI got 3 plants.

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

The genetics of the seed should not depend on when you collect the seed, unless there is cross-pollination with different sages at different times. In open pollination situations, most of the seed will be selfed, and you can expect as much as 10% crossing, especially if closely related plants are nearby.

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great news, I'm relieved. Thank you Rich.
    Helena

• wardda
    16 years ago

On a related topic, does anyone know whether Ginny Hunt's pink splendens is from seeding Vanhouttii. Yvonne's doesn't seem to be.

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really don't know the answer to that question. Last year I grew both Yvonne's & the tall pink salvias right next to each other. The tall pink splendens got just a bit taller than Yvonnes. So could they have crossed?

• wardda
    16 years ago

How did you like the pink one?

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ward, I liked the tall pink very much. I almost thought that they were going to be perennials for me but the last frost got them. I did take cuttings of them & had them in pots this year which kept them from growing fast.

• wardda
    16 years ago

I gave most of my seedlings away. The biggest is several feet tall, growing fast, but a bit clorotic (spelling?). Splendens is not alway easy for me to winter over indoors. I had a Dancing Flames from last year that didn't die but never rooted in 6 months. That was a first for me.

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Ginny's pink splendens originated from seeds which I sent to her from the UK. It is definitely not from Van Houttei. Origin of the plant is unsure, I got it from a nursery here, which is now closed, the lovely lady who ran the nursery told me that her Aunt had brought cuttings back from somewhere in Europe! So, a vague history!

Van Houttei is altogether much bushier, splendid nevertheless.

I have previously found that these are difficult to over-winter, they succumb to mould/botrytis, and have found that they can be treated as annuals, as they come true from seed. But, unfortunately, I have been proved wrong this year, as all my germinated seedlings have produced scarlet flowers! I am distressed about this, as I have sent seeds to a few people around the world, and I apologise if they have not come true. Even the deep purple giant form, known here as splendens 'Helen Dillon' has scarlet flowers! I should have known better and kept the cultivars separated!

This year I got seeds of Yvonne's splendens for the first time, but as I sowed them several weeks later than the others, it is a bit early to say how they will be. But they have taken off.....I reckon they will be the same, or similar to my Brazilian splendens.

But, in spite of the possible revertions, this is one spectacular Salvia.

Best regards from a rather stormy UK,

Robin.

• wardda
    16 years ago

Robin, if you ask me about seeds in the fall I'll send you some. The pink one is the only splendens growing within at least a mile of my garden so if these original seeds come true there is a good chance that the next generation will also. Which reminds me that I need to remove some seedlings from Yvonne's and Dancing Flames. And no, the Dancing Flames didn't come true.

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks for that, but I have a source over here, from where I can get more seeds or cuttings.

Robin.

• ladysgt
    16 years ago

I've been reading so much about these seeds if anyone has extra I'd love to give them a try I have a very large yard that needs some color.. and red is my color ....

you can email me at Frlucci@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance

• Patrick888
    15 years ago

This thread is getting kinda old, but I'm trying to find some of the original discussions on Yvonne's salvia. If I remember right, there was a link to the magazine article that Emily wrote about this salvia and Yvonne & her husband. TIA to anyone who can help me with this.

• mskee
    15 years ago

Patrick,
    It's Emily here...I can't find any current link to the article now..it was in the July 2007 issue of "Birds and Blooms Extra." I don't think the article is on line anymore?
    Is there something I can answer for you?

It's interesting that you should revive this thread...as Yvonne just passed away on Thursday night. I'm still in a bit of shock over it, but, I think she was about 94 years young.

The plant and seeds have taken on a more significant meaning for me now.

Emily

• Patrick888
    15 years ago

Hi Emily, I just got word on another forum about Yvonne's passing. It is sad, but as I mentioned on the other forum, she would probably have told us she was ready. It is wonderful that she was given a nice long life.

A couple of days ago I was relating the story of Yvonne and her salvia to a new GW friend in TX who has some of the seeds, but didn't know the story. Not trusting the accuracy of my memory, I was looking for info that I thought had been posted here. I did locate the photo of Yvonne & her husband standing in front of their savlia border, on my old PC.

I had visualized a mass planting of Yvonne's salvia in the center my backyard this year & am pretty sure I will now go ahead with it as a special tribute to her. It would be wonderful if others that have seeds from these salvias could do something a little special with them this year and post photos later on...anyone want to join me in that?

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Patrick, I am certainly going to try. The first seeds I got from Emily did not germinate for me or a friend in Southeast Texas, but I am hopeful that the ones I got from you will do great for me this year. Certainly, I have the right conditions to grow them.... wish me luck !!!!

• wardda
    15 years ago

I recall reading that Yvonne's Salvia really struggles in high heat.

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Until the Yvonne's splendens can be trialled in an arid climate where there are cool nights, I'll remain nucommitted about its durability in heat. It may be vulnerable to the hot, humid nights.

• wardda
    15 years ago

I wish I could find the comments - several folks reported having trouble. I have grown it a few times in South Jersey. In rich garden soil with regular water it reached close to five feet but did nothing in arid poor soil. We had a summer long drought here last year and it only grew about three feet.

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

If I could have some seeds/plant from someone I'd be willing to give it a try in this dry, hot climate.... but no cool nights in summer.

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Well I would not mind trially some here at my home
    and at our local Botanic Gardens where there would be Irrigation and in winter a much milder climate(Heat Island Effect). If there are enough to go around that is.
    Art

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I grew some of Yvonne's salvias here in the piedmont of NC several years ago and it had no issues with our heat and humidity. It only grew to around 3 feet tall or so but flowered all summer long with no foliar diseases.

• wardda
    15 years ago

They are perfectly healthy here in South Jersey too. I have just never had them grow like they did for Yvonne in Mass. Five feet was the tallest and that in highly enriched sandy soil in spaces in a tomato row. That big pink one has grown to about the same size here at least once. My gripe with it is that it takes too long to bloom. One came up as a volunteer this spring in a barren site. It started blooming in mid August. The pink one is very easy on the eye.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I knew I would find a picture eventually of Yvonne's salvia from a few years ago. Here it is early in the season but like I said previously, it only got to 3 feet max for me the entire summer. Who can complain though when it flowers all summer long.

• Patrick888
    14 years ago

I believe the trick to 6' plants in to grow them in a mass rather than as individual plants. When I plant them one at a time, they get about 3' tall. When I plant them in a block, consisting of 4-5 rows with plants spaced roughly 18" apart in all directions, some of them shoot up just over 6' all. Those around the perimeter are shorter.

• robinmi_gw
    14 years ago

Can't understand the logic in that, do some get more shade, water than others? I have been growing this in England for a few years, and every year they are different. I think they enjoy some sun...maybe half a day, (which is more than they will usually enjoy here!) and a slightly enriched soil, and plenty of water in summer. Most parts of Brazil, from where this originates, have frequent heavy rainfall in summer.

Last summer in the UK was very cool and cloudy, they flowered "OK" but nothing more. The pink form "Peach" did not flower until September, and was a trifle pathetic, but 3 years ago in a hot (for the UK) summer, they were all stunning, but very greedy for fertiliser and water.

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

I managed to keep one plant alive over winter in a pot under an arbor next to the house. It only got maybe 3' all last summer. This spring it is already 4' and growing. Maybe the second year's growth is greater.