Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black and Blue score!

Posted by naplesgardener Naples FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 07 at 8:59

I have been dreaming of getting some Black and Blue guarnitica and given up hope but ran into it at Walmart for 3.47. They were beautiful and very healthy.
I don't know how they can sell such a big plant for so little except that everything grows big and fast here in Florida.
I almost never get to Walmart because it's farther away and we aren't big shoppers but I'm going to have to check in more often at the Garden Center there.
No hummers or butterflies found them yet in my garden but the bees have.
I'll have to count but I think I'm up to 10-12 diff. kinds of salvia.
It's been frustrating growing salvias from seed--many don't germinate and some throw up one or two seedlings and then perish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black and Blue score!

Way to go! I found some this week too finally after checking nearly every nursery in town. I have never seen it at Wal-Mart here though. It does grow fast so maybe will be easier to find in the future.
I grew salvia greggii, Yvonne's, subrotundra, coccinea and darcyi from seed this year but can't for the life of me get guaranitica to germinate. This was my third or fourth year to try.
I planted one of my new Black and Blues between the species (guaranitica) and Argentine Skies so I'm hoping I'll get lots of seeds and can try again next year.

o
RE: Black and Blue score!

Christie:

The seeds do seem to have a low germination rate. I have a few seedlings and am waiting to see the flowers. Several people here have had success with the seeds, though.

Becky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here