Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing Bush Sages

Posted by wardda (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 9:19

I've never fertilized bush sages before. My own improved sandy soil is already too rich as it is. But the long hedge I planted in early May is in very barren sandy soil. Some of the plant types like Hot Lip, microphylla neurepia, and greggii Navaho Bright Red are growing and blooming well, but other types are still small and growing very slowly. Now that they are established should I consider giving them a light feeding of low number organic fertilizer or am I just being impatient? The hedge is in a rather prominent place with lots of traffic going by and I'd like it to look its best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing Bush Sages

I'd use about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of Osmocote, worked into the soil about 1-2 inches (depending on how far down the soil gets dry) per plant. If you can mulch with modest collars of hardwood bark mulch, this will help control evaporation and weeds.

o
RE: Fertilizing Bush Sages

I asked for hardwood bark mulch only to discover a few days later that they had used root mulch. They did manage to keep the new plants watered until they became established, which was a big job, so I can fault the too much. I do as you suggest, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here