Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Identification Wanted

Posted by mmm...fruit 8B (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 9:44

I got this salvia from a cutting and would like an ID on the variety. Ignore the S. gregii to the left of the photo and the Russian sage growing throughout--I am talking about the one with the upright purple flower spikes. The flower spikes from the lowest calyx to the highest is about 11 inches. I thought this was just a generic S. farinacea until I saw such long flower spikes. Could it be Indigo Spires? Or a longispicata?

Is any other information needed for an ID?

Thanks.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia photo here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Identification Wanted

Not easy to tell, without a close-up of the flowers and foliage. But It could well be a tall form of S. farinacea. Maybe S. farinacea 'Henry Duelberg'?

o

Here are additional photos.

Close up of the folliage: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84547585@N04/14357690114

Close up of the flowers: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84547585@N04/14171879358

It looks like the flower spikes are as long as 14" in fact.

o

It sure looks like Indigo Spires to me.

o

Garden Centers here in California are selling this Salvia as either Mystic Spires, Blue Mystic Spires. or Mystic Blue... all are of the same genra as Indigo Spires. A great addition to the Salvia Nation and much hartier than the previously mass produced "annual Salvias" which were prone to powdery mildew.
FYI I had two in pots over-winter this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here