Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Nemorosa: leaves turning yellow from bottow up

Posted by pommes 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:24

Hi. I just landscaped a new property. I am a hobby gardening and new home owner so it's the first time I've had the opportunity to have my own garden.
I have a steep hillside that gets full sun. I decided to plant a lot of purple Salvia Nemorosa on this steep slope.
We had a heat streak for about 1 2/ weeks and because the plants were'nt (I thought) established yet I watered them quit a bit while it was hot....ie. almost everyday. The Silvia looked like they were melting during this time.
Now I see that some of the plant leaves are turning yellow from the the bottom. Some have yellow leaves almost to the top. BTW- I some of my Lavender (Hitcote) and Echeniecia is also turning yellow:( Hope this doesn't mean I have to destroy everything and start all over again. I read that this could be root rot and that there is no turning the plant around. Possibly that I may also have to destroy the plants. I've planted at least 15, 16 of them and at least 6-7 are showing yellow leaves. Is this that scary root rot and do I have to destroy the plants? If I do have to destroy the plants can I then transplant a new Silvia plant in the same plant hole or will it also then get the fungus? I would think so but I am new to this. I also say that because the ground is so steep that I put a coconut net to hold the ground. Then cut holes in the net where I wanted plants. If I have to put new plants in to replace destroyed ones that means cutting a lot of holes in the net.. Here's one of the plants but actually from a different location. Looks the same though:( Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Nemorosa: leaves turning yellow from bottow up

They may be over watered. Cut back the watering and see how they do. The other thing it could be is spider mites although all of the watering that you have been doing tends to discourage them since they like it dryer rather than wetter.

o
RE: Salvia Nemorosa: leaves turning yellow from bottow up

I assume that the steep soil you've planted in is virgin, not established garden soil. How big a hole did you dig? I think this is a case for digging a five dollar hole for a one dollar plant, and using soil amendments, determined by the kind of soil you are digging in. Pure clay or sand (the extremes) will require the most amendments. Also, do you know the soil pH?

A large hole with humusy soil will reduce the frequency of watering and help avoid the roller coaster ride of too much/too little water.

Humus goes a long way to removing summer heat stress with new plantings. Also, I'd consider using seaweed extract as a foliar nutrient, since it deters spider mites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here