Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie with seed question

Posted by fuzzbuzzle 9b FL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 11:30

Okay, dumb question time :o) Which part of the salvia plant do the seeds come from? I see what "looks" like seeds on my spent flowers, but I'm a total novice, so I need to ask about absolutely everything. I have the Victoria blue (s. farinacea) variety. Thanks a million!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie with seed question

If you go to page 2 on this forum, the thread "Saving Seeds of the New World Sages" is explained by Richard. Hope this helped.

o

I haven't grown farinacea in years, but as I recall this salvia produced a lot of seed and seedlings came up everywhere in the spring. I wish I was looking at one now to be certain about the details, but check out the spent flowers that have turned brownish, there should be seed inside, although if it's like other salvia, the seed may quickly fall to the ground as the capsul dries.

o

Thanks! I was hoping those were seeds I was seeing on spent flowers. I'll plant the spent flowers and see if anything happens, if not, I'll look for seeds around the base like the other variety of salvia in the other thread :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here