Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone grown Salvia deserta?

Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 11:34

I received a packet of seeds with Salvia deserta as the identity. Has anyone grown this species, and if so, would you tell of your experiences with the plant, what the flower looks like, how tall and wide does it grow, and its requirements for growth? By the species name, I would think it is adapted for low-rainfall areas but I have not been able to find anything on the web except that it is a native of Mongolia and Russia, it has purple flowers and "distinctive purple-red bracts".

Thanks in advance for sage wisdom.

Joseph
Wilmington, Delaware, USA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone grown Salvia deserta?

It is related to S. pratensis ans S. nemerosa, and is intermediate in size. It is supposed to be a good honeybee plant.

o

Hello Joseph ! Yes, I have grown this species. I received seeds of it from Tashkent Botanical Garden, when I was there in 2005, and I also collected seeds of it in Chimgan ( Uzbekistan )It's a very hardy species, and is not xeric,even if it probably does well in a well drained site but it is probably very adaptable. I have grown it in a regular flower bed ( quite rich soil ), and it flowers first year from seed if sown early. Small purple flowers.

o

Paul, while you were in Tashkent, did you come across Salvia bucharica? It is named after the old spice road city of Bukhara and is found in Afghanistan and in the mountains to the north and east, including the Pamirs.

It is a very showy species with large rose bracts, somewhat similar to the similarly showy American S. pachyphylla in habit. A lot of natural products chemistry has recently been done on the terpenes, so there should be some good collection data.

My profession is natural products chemistry, but I am retired and do not have access to professional articles because of the expenses of ordering articles that may or may not be useful.

I could not find any online images to link to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia bucharica Popov

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here