Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_texas_peg

Orange Salvia

west_texas_peg
16 years ago

I have a salvia that has begun to bloom in my garden. I direct sowed seeds of various plants in this large bed. I do not remember now the name of this plant.

Do not have a camera, so no photo. It is a small plant (prob. 12" in height) with small pointed bluish/green leaves and a light orange, tube shaped bloom.

I was sent several salvia seeds that I was not familiar with last fall and it maybe one of these. I want to save seeds and put it in the front of my bed instead at the back...had no idea it was so petite.

Peggy

Comments (13)

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Check out the images of tubular flowers on Robin's site and tell us if any are matches, and how they vary (such as are the lower lips of the flowers broader). Also, give us some idea of the leaf size, including width as well as length.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some tubular flowers on Robin's site

• ramazz
    16 years ago

I also have a salvia that has orange flowers. I got the seeds in a trade and thought it was supposed to be a red greggii. My plant has small leaves and is falling over rather than standing up. I can take a picture of mine if you think it might be the same plant.

Becky

• west_texas_peg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The leaves on mine are about 1 inch or so long by 3/4 inch wide; blooms are about an inch long--light orange with yellow inside. Has tubular blooms like my Lady in Red, just smaller.
    Plant is about 12 inches tall. I ckd Robin's site and did not find it.

Peggy

• west_texas_peg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ramazz,

Sure, send your photo...this one is not like a greggi but who knows ; )

Peggy

• njoynit
    16 years ago

I'm a sucker for orange flowers too.

I'd guess salvia splendens.its dwarf.I think these are the salsa series.I bought some burgandy ones& did have one return then pulled it accidently weeding one day.I had mine at the front of bed.lots of butterflys/hummers.

Is another nice orange I've seen that has the blackish color like B&B.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic online

• west_texas_peg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It does not look like salvia splendens; blooms are sparse.

The color of the bloom reminds me of the greggi I had, believe it was "Fiesta San Antonio" with orange/yellow blooms BUT these blooms are small and tubular and it is not a greggi; I have had these and unfortunately, I managed to kill them all!

Peggy

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Okay, I am going to post a picture of my plant. Now keep in mind that I said the seeds were supposed to be a red greggii - I did not say the flowers looked like greggii. I have been puzzled by the plants I got from these seeds.

{{gwi:1243503}}

Becky

• west_texas_peg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becky,

That is it!! Where did you get the seeds? Perhaps we got them from the same person??

Peggy

• helena_z8_ms
    16 years ago

I would love to find a true orange salvia too but I think your flower is an agastache probably Apricot sprite, very similar to my orange hybrid agastache.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Since I have distributed a series of Agastaches in the late 80s, including Agastache aurantiaca x coccinea `Apricot Sunrise', there are now a number of forms out there with similar colors and habits.

This genus of plants is very promiscuous, so I would be very wary of getting true material unless propagated from cuttings or from open pollinated seed only if it is a species and from a pure monoculture (no other species or hybrids around for about a mile). Second generation (F2) seed is likely to generate plants ranging from nearly identical to one original parent to the other.

• west_texas_peg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

helena_z8_ms

Bless you! That is it. Now I recall sowing Apricot Sprite in that spot in the garden! I told my husband we would be having lots of mystery plants this year because I can't remember 5 minutes after I plant what I planted where. I thought it grew taller or I would not have put it at the back of the bed.

Thank you so much for responding.

Happy Gardening to all!
    Peggy

• ramazz
    16 years ago

LOL. Well, that is funny. At least we were talking about the same plant, Peggy! I will have to wait and see what the other "salvia greggii" plants look like when they bloom. I am like Peggy in that I plant stuff all over the place and don't always remember what it is. Someone sent me one Apricot Sprite seedling but I don't think that is where I put it, and I thought it died. My summer holds many surprises due to wintersowing and seed trading, plus growing salvias that I have never seen in person.

Becky

• west_texas_peg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becky,

Amazing that I was able to describe it so that you knew it was what you had...I'm not very good at describing :)

Peggy

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County