Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev1065

What is eating my salvia?

bev1065
14 years ago

Something is eating the leaves on my Salvia Black and Blue. No sign of any bugs on the plants. I have a picture but don't know how to post it.

Comments (9)

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

For the first time ever I have budworms eating the new buds on the spikes of several different Salvias and the Eggplants. Something new every year.

One year I had Potato Beetles (Bugs) eating the Salvia leaves in one area of the garden. I dusted and that was the end of that. However, it is a little early for Potato bugs in your area, I think.

• robinmi_gw
    14 years ago

If you have small holes in the centre of the leaves, it could be minute caterpillars. I have these on a couple of guaraniticas. A systemic insecticide should help.

• CA Kate z9
    14 years ago

NO! the systemic will also kill the bees and Hummingbirds.

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

If it is catapillars use BT(Baccilus thuringensis var.Kurstaki)Thuricide or worm killer. It is organic /gives only targets the worm and being it is not a poison will not
    hurt ladybugs, hummers or bee's. Lowes sells it as "worm Killer.
    Art

• Sue Hughes
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Last year Black and Blue Salvia had abundant, endless blooms- this year I'm experiencing the flowers not blooming. They seem to grow buds but do not bloom.

We have no deer, the flowers are too high up for rabbits, squirrels never seen touching them. Must be an insect? I've read abut the Bud Worm but don't see anything at all on these plants. I see no holes in the blossoms, or signs of chewing.

This was a well established Black and Blue Salvia that had overwintered in zone 6 in Pittsburgh, PA two years in a row. I bought more from a nursery this year- maybe I introduced a pest?

Does anyone have photos of Bud Worm damage on a Black and Blue Salvia for reference, so I know what to look for. Is it something you can see like a hole or eggs or is it only apparent once the blossoms are damaged?

I've only found a photo on leaves of another plant, and I have not seen this on my plants.

(Source of one photo that is not mine with worm is http://bugspray.com/budworm-control.html )

• Sue Hughes
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Update- I went out to see what I could find and noticed at least 4 or 5 of these very small bugs that seemed to be piercing the base of the flower on the Black and Blue Salvia. Does anyone know what this insect is? I don't see any other suspects.

I'm currently asking someone to ID it for me, as I cannot find it on any websites.

The bottom photo is for size on a wine glass. And it can fly, and is shy- when I tried to photograph it on the plant it would hide to the other side.

If anyone else observes this bug let me know.

It could be totally innocent just hanging out there but it seems like it's up to something.

• HU-589049096
    3 years ago

Hi Sue did you ever find out what those bugs were and if they were causing the damage? And if so how to control them?

• Tom Reid
    3 years ago

I have just witnessed a type of bee that flies quite erratically around my flowers (it looks like a bumble Bee) but specifically my Salvia Amistad chomping at the base of the flowers I'm assuming that as they don't have such a long tounge as other bees, this is their way to get to the pollen thus causing the flowers to drop.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures