Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Need Good Source of Salvia greggii Navajo Red

echinaceamaniac
15 years ago

I've heard this is a good salvia and the pictures are great, but I can't find a place around here that sells it. I'm very wary of mail order places after my bad Wayside Gardens experience! Thanks in advance for any suggestions of sources. I'd also like to know if this plant returns every year without problems if anyone has tried it.

Comments (10)

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Salvia greggii 'Navajo Bright Red' is the same as Salvia greggii x microphylla `Cherry Chief'. I supplied Ball Seed with the original material for propagation.

• wardda
    15 years ago

It was one of the first greggii I ever tried. The first couple of years I kept losing it over the winter and kept having to reintroduce it from cuttings that were wintered indoors. Since then it has proved hardy in my zone 6b/7a garden. The winters haven't exactly be hard in the past 6 or so years so maybe it hasn't been a perfect test, but still, there it is returning year after year. Check out A World of Salvia and see if it is available.

Richard, are you saying Cherry Chief and Navajo Bright Red are actually the same cultivar - you don't really mean it, do you?

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. We've had mild winters lately in my zone so I'm going to give this one a try. I can bring a cutting inside too!

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Ward, there is also a Navajo True Red, which I also sent to Ball. This cultivar (which I called Orange Basket and have since lost) was not as hardy and was inferior to Cherry Chief. It may be that this one was dropped by Ball and they simplified the name of the other form, dropping the 'Bright' part.

Perhaps this may explain the discrepancy. No one in the Carolinas has sold any of the Navajo series, otherwise I would have bought some myself, to check on the authenticity.

• wardda
    15 years ago

I can send you what they sold here a few years ago. There is the original one which is about 6 years old which came from Lowe's and some others I picked up at a local farm market last year for the salvia hedge. They appear alike to me.

A slightly unrelated question. Can soil conditions cause flower color to be slightly variable? My oldest San Carlos Festival plants are a kind of dark pinkish. They match up well to photos I've seen of other SCF. The group I planted in the hedge are much redder. In other ways the plants are nearly the same taking into account that the ones in the xeric hedge have slightly smaller leaves and aren't quite as bushy.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Rich,

I'm in Chapel Hill and bought these last year in NC, labeled as 'Navaho Red' Texas Sage to test in my garden. Perhaps they were mislabeled and not really 'Navajo Red' -- notice the spelling difference.

They are truly stunning! I have 5 planted en masse. They were evergreen over the winter. I carefully hand-snapped the dry tips in March and they have been blooming since April. I have them on the east side of the house, with dappled shade from a willow tree to block the south and west sun.

They are my favorites in my very large garden.

Cameron

{{gwi:674996}}

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden

• wardda
    15 years ago

The first photos do seem to match up, the third isn't as obvious. Navajo Bright Red is rather upright for me and these seem so too. I bet it is.

• DYH
    15 years ago

the third photo is taken from up the hill looking down into the salvias. It was shaded at the time, so the colors are a bit different.

Cameron

• DYH
    15 years ago

I finally got a better "red" photo of my salvia this morning. These 5 plants are still full, bushy and blooming like crazy again. They've been blooming off and on for several months. I'd love to have more!

{{gwi:579101}}

• wardda
    15 years ago

One good thing about Navajo Bright Red is its ability to bloom well all summer - my plant are just as glorious now as they were in May.

The dirty little secret is that cuttings should be very easy at this time of year, you can make all you want as long as you don't sell them.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner