Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbarnes001

white salvia viscosa

bbarnes001
12 years ago

I had some seed that i germinated that was labeled S. virgata. I just thought it was going to be S. regliana, but it turned out to be a white flowering form of S. viscosa. Half of the batch is the normal maroon colored flowers and the other half are white flowers. Has anyone seen this before? The white plants also flower earlier than the maroon. Im going to look at them a little closer and take some pictures, but the foliage is similar in both colors.

Brent

Comments (10)

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Way to go Brent.
    Art

• kermitc
    12 years ago

Very cool, Brent. Nice plant in the ground but not easy to grow as an attractive plant-in-a-pot.

Kermit

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

A white viscosa???? How interesting!!! Photos please!

BTW........did you get my email re "Curtis Blue"? Christine Yeo and I both 99% certain that this is Salvia flocculosa.

S. viscosa is an interesting and easy Salvia.........but perhaps not particularly garden-worthy in the UK.

Robin.

• bbarnes001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Robin,

Yes i received your email. thank you so much for looking into that for me. I owe you one. Im starting to think it may be something else. This lot of seed came up with these two plants. The white form has much thicker flowering stems. Similar foliage but a little fewer leaves. Ill get some pictures this weekend for a post. I think there may have been two seed types in one pack.... i dont know. Ive been busy and havent had time to investigate.

brent

• kermitc
    12 years ago

I will get photos together later today, but the plant we have grown or years as flocculosa is similar but clearly different from 'Curtis Blue'. Not just in appearance, but in cultural requirements as well.

Kermit

• robinmi_gw
    12 years ago

Now, I seem to have a pure white form of Salvia subrotunda!!!

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Robin:
    That is outstanding a white subrotunda!
    We will look forward to see the pic's from Kermit too.
    Art

• kermitc
    12 years ago

Its White Week!

I personally love white flowering Salvias, but with the exception of canariensis alba and 'Waverly', white Salvias in flower just don't sell for us. Some are very nice, but bright colors are what most of our non-mail-order customers are looking for.

Kermit

• bbarnes001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A white subrotunda would be beautiful. Out here the species doesnt do well. I cant get it to flower heavy. Im pretty sure my white flowering plant is something else. I will eat my words on a white viscosa. I will be posting pictures soon. It might just be a pure white regliana. Im not too familiar with these species. It just suprised me that the viscosa came up with them. And as small plants they all looked exactly the same. I have had viscosa for a while too. Im sorry.

As for curtis blue, i have thought it was a form of flocculose ever since i saw the species in a photo 6 months ago. Not exactly the same, but a form. It does very well in full sun and drought. Richs pitures from cabrillo are similar. Kermit has both species, and may be one of the only ones who can put them side by side. Maybe voodoobrew/michelle has a flocculosa to compare it to. But, definitely not keerlii.

Sorry for the long post.

Brent

• kermitc
    12 years ago

So here is my contribution on the flocculosa / 'Curtis Blue' saga:

S. flocculosa for us is very compact and woody, with short flower spikes. It grows slowly as a low mound, and only grows well when it warms up.

'Curtis Blue' is much more lush and free branching, more tolerant of cool weather with 4 times the flower count and a bit greater flower size. It is more upright and a faster grower.

The flowers are similar but not identical. I do not have flocculosa pictures right now as we have just severely cut back our mother plant for propagation. Another week and I can do side by side photos of the flowers.

Leaf shape is very different, and flocculosa has a furry white underside where flocculosa is green. The veigning is different as well. In the picture the top leaf is flocculosa, the middle 'Curtis Blue' and the bottom is a seedling grown from Brent's seed from 'Curtis Blue'. The seedlings are very uniform and similar to the clonal variety but much larger and more upright and more vigorous.

That having been said, they are quite similar.

Of all the Salvias we grow (now somewhat over 200 species), the flowers, foliage and branching structure of these two (not the seedlings) are most similar to S. caymenensis. Neither have the incredibly strong scent of this one, however.

Somewhat rambling, but I am tired now and this is the best I can do.

Here is a link to the picture. The pot is a 3 1/2 inch deep perennial pot, for scale. Please let me know if it doesn't work for you - this is my first use of Flickr.

Kermit

Here is a link that might be useful: