Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here We Go Again

Posted by jimcrick (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 13:08

Another year gets going.

Most of the many Salvia cuttings/seedlings that I have raised this year are now planted in the garden to fill the gaps left by those tender types that do not survive the winters in Hertfordshire.

Last year I was plagued by spider-mite on many of my cuttings as well as on established plants that survive outside such as Bethellii, Phylis Fancy, Indigo Spires. This year I seem to be almost mite free and my plants are looking very healthy and extremely lush.

Some of the winter survivors are now flowering. An early one is S. multicaulis which is now over flowering but still looks good with it's attractive bracts:

Photobucket

The plant in the right foreground is Mimulus cardinalis, it's lovely red flowers soon to appear.

I grow S. psidica in a spartan scree - about 75% of " grit:

Salvia psidica

Hot Lips is in flower but can't make up it's mind about the temperature:

Photobucket

The stems of S. blancoana are starting to flop over a Tropaeolum and a Campanula. Pity blancoana is not more upright:

Photobucket

A form of S. x sylvestris is another early starter. Top left you can just see S. transylvanica:

Photobucket

A trio consisting of S. interrupta in the foreground, S. dolicantha above left and the ground covering Salvia JLP10 a collection of John & Lyndsey Pink above right:

Photobucket

Flower buds forming on S. mexicana 'Limelight' and the first flowers on a S. microphylla tbd:

Photobucket

S. forsskaolii raises it's flowering stems above a Clematis and infront of S. regla and the whiteflowers of Carpenteria californica:

Photobucket

S. miltiorrhiza's gracefully curving flower head is ready to open above a Moltkia x intermedia:

Photobucket

Alliums have such untidy leaves at flowering time. I hide the leaves of A. 'Globemaster' (which has the advantage of being sterile and thus not seeding everywhere like many others) in a bunch of Crocosmia 'Vulcan'. Salvia microphylla 'Cerro Potosi' is just starting to flower infront of the Dictamnus albus var. purpurea:

Photobucket

Finally, the wall gives S. x jamensis 'Red Velvet' an early start to keep up with the Geranium palmatum beyond it. Still lots of plants to find a place for:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here We Go Again

Wow, very nice. I guess I'm not the only one with the plants waiting to be planted alley.

o

Great pictures, Jim. Many thanks.

Tomorrow or the day after, your Salvia 'Imelda' will have its first flowers........cannot wait! I am now the proud possessor of S. 'Wendy's Wish'...many buds already, am getting very excited about this! (Best not to ask how I obtained it!!!)

Robin.

o

Robin - I've just got to see Wendy in the flesh!
Jim

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 15:14

Jim, those are all absolutely lovely and make me very jealous. I would love to have your climate as everything you have looks much healthier than mine. I do not have to worry about the 'overwintering', but it's so much hotter and drier here...mine are not 'lush'....

o

Your gardens are beautiful! I especially enjoy seeing the companion plantings in each vignette.

Cameron

o

Stunning!

o

• Posted by corb Z8, Netherlands (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 2:21

Thanks for sharing !

o

Very nice combinations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here