Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Does anyone have Black & Blue AND species guar. to compare?

christie_sw_mo
18 years ago

I got Black and Blue this year and the leaves are thicker/stiffer than my species guaranitica that I've had for a few years and it also has a silvery tint under the leaves that I don't see on the species. It made me start wondering if my species g. is really what I thought it was. Can someone tell me?

Comments (11)

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Here's two photos I just took first is black and blue second is species I bought them both in may

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It was so nice of you to post those pictures Sarah. Maybe it's my Black and Blue that was labeled wrong. lol I expected them to look more similar. It's not blooming now but had blooms on it when I purchased it. When it blooms again, I'll look at it a little closer. Thank you so much.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Maybe it's the costa rican form that one is really different big and tall and not at all like the others. Sarah

• GingerBlue
    18 years ago

Christie, did you buy your Black and Blue at Lowe's in Spfd a couple weeks ago? They had a whole slew of them labeled as B&B but were mislabeled. I bought one from them two months ago and it was correctly labeled and looks like the pics posted above. The second one (I knew it was mislabeled but am a blue flower freak) is thicker and stiffer and silver/fuzzier. Now that this one has bloomed for me I think it's Salvia patens. Hey, I'm happy! But anyway, that might explain your mystery.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I didn't know they had them at Lowe's. I bought it at a nursery here but they could've gotten it from Lowe's. I've seen other nurseries do that but I don't know if this one does.
    My "Black and Blue" has grown but I'm still waiting for it to bloom again. The blooms were sort of clustered together at the top like this pic I found on the web of the Costa Rican form. The leaves sound like the ones YOU described though GingerBlue. Are the leaves of the Costa Rican one silvery underneath? Whatever it is, I don't think it will winter over outside. The nursery owner said it was an annual for her. If it's pretty, I think I will pot it up and bring it in the garage for winter.
    Maybe I need to trade for a chunk of a real Black and Blue to compare. : )
    Now I have TWO mystery salvias that I purchased this year. The other was labeled Salvia 'Prairie Fire' from a different nursery. The only Prairie Fire I can find on the internet is a variety of Salvia roemeriana but the leaves aren't even close so I don't think that's it.
    I guess I don't mind not knowing the names but it would be nice to know whether they are hardy here so I'd know what to do with them over the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• GingerBlue
    18 years ago

Hi Christie,

Maybe the supplier that Lowe's used got things switched around (or ran out of B&B and thought nobody'd notice). This kind of thing is very common judged by how often I get mislabeled plants.

I just went out to take a couple pics of the two salvias I bought. Both were bought as B&B, but only one really is. I suspect the other is S. patens, though I'm not any expert. Take a look at the pics to see if they're like yours.

And yes, I'd be glad to trade cuttings! Email me through my profile. I'm sure there are several things we can swap! Sounds like fun.

Ginger

Here is a link that might be useful: My two salvias

• Salvia_guy
    18 years ago

The other one is S. patens.

SG

• GingerBlue
    18 years ago

Thanks Salvia Guy. I was hoping it was. I find this funny because it's been on my wish list forever and it's not the sort of thing you ever find here. When I bought it, it wan't in bloom. A week later, it bloomed, and I knew what it was instantly. To accidentally get something that's on your wish list is such a cool bonus!

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GingerBlue - I sent you mail. Did you get it? : )

When my mystery salvia blooms again, I'll go take its picture. It's been hot lately so it should be soon.

• LarkspurLady
    18 years ago

I had a thought--maybe the nursery that grew them ran out of the right labels. I work at a nursery & when we run out of tags, the boss says just to use any tag that has the same color to avoid having to write tags or order more. Drives me crazy, but then they aren't plant freaks; it's just something to sell to make that almighty dollar, whatever it takes. They'll tell you it's hardy, whatever they think you want to hear to make a sale. Well, let me off my soapbox!

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That would drive me crazy LarkspurLady. You made me laugh. I guess it's not really funny. It's just something I never guessed would happen. Hope that's not common practice everywhere. Naaah - I think your boss is unique - not in a good way.
    I'm still wondering and still waiting for it to bloom again. It certainly seems like it's been hot enough here to make it bloom. My species guaranitica has been blooming for a little over a week.

Sponsored