Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about crosses

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 13:31

I have a salvia darcyi seedling that I started this spring that looks very much like my salvia guaranitica - at least the leaves do. It hasn't flowered yet.
I'm wondering if crosses tend to get more traits from one parent than the other or is it just random. Are the flowers more likely to be blue like guaranitica or red like darcyi or somewhere in between?
Also wondering if crosses tend to have less nectar than their parents or the same. I'm hoping it will be a good hummingbird plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about crosses

If you have an artistic eye, you can often see the characteristics of both parents. These do not manifest equally. Hybrids often start out more like the female and go to bloom more like the male. Also, there are differences between spring and summer, rapid growth and semi-dormancy, and sun versus shade.

o
RE: Questions about crosses

Thanks Rich! I'm anxious for them to bloom. A couple of the seedlings look just like the parent so I assumed the flowers would too but maybe not. One seedling has leaves just like darcyi but not as gray so I think it must be a cross too.
Wish I'd been able to collect more seeds. Darcyi has somewhat large flowers and gets a hole near the base of the bloom that I think someone said is caused by bees. After the bees found them last year, I didn't get anymore seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here