Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_dufresne

Where can I get sages protected under Plant Patent?

rich_dufresne
11 years ago

This includes both PP (Plant Patent) and PPAF (Plant Patent Applied For) sages. Unauthorized selling PPAF sages before they are released is really bad, because it violates the patent.

At some point, I'd like to know how widely distributed Plant Patented sages have been sold. These include S. greggii Teresa, S. greggii Desert Blaze, S. leucantha Santa Barbara, S. leucantha White Mischief, S. leucantha Danielle's Dream, and S. vanhouttei Wendy's Wish. I'm sure they are widely sold along the west coast of the US. Outside of Plant Delights in Raleigh, NC (licensed), coverage in the lower 48 east of the Rockies excluding Texas is really spotty. My sense is that big box store offerings is both transitory and sparse.

Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to get some idea of how frustrated Salvia enthusiasts are, and where there are missed opportunities for plantsmen to offer these plants legitimately.

I believe these plants are licensed to only one propagator, who probably supplies plugs to local growers. Unauthorized propagation can be a problem, and it can be hard to tell if a plant has been propagated legitimately.

I'm just learning about the possibilities of open licensing varieties of sages. That sounds like more of an honor system.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors