Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I get sages protected under Plant Patent?

Posted by rich_dufresne z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 14:02

This includes both PP (Plant Patent) and PPAF (Plant Patent Applied For) sages. Unauthorized selling PPAF sages before they are released is really bad, because it violates the patent.

At some point, I'd like to know how widely distributed Plant Patented sages have been sold. These include S. greggii Teresa, S. greggii Desert Blaze, S. leucantha Santa Barbara, S. leucantha White Mischief, S. leucantha Danielle's Dream, and S. vanhouttei Wendy's Wish. I'm sure they are widely sold along the west coast of the US. Outside of Plant Delights in Raleigh, NC (licensed), coverage in the lower 48 east of the Rockies excluding Texas is really spotty. My sense is that big box store offerings is both transitory and sparse.

Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to get some idea of how frustrated Salvia enthusiasts are, and where there are missed opportunities for plantsmen to offer these plants legitimately.

I believe these plants are licensed to only one propagator, who probably supplies plugs to local growers. Unauthorized propagation can be a problem, and it can be hard to tell if a plant has been propagated legitimately.

I'm just learning about the possibilities of open licensing varieties of sages. That sounds like more of an honor system.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I get sages protected under Plant Patent?

Is S. vanhouttei Wendy's Wish the same as Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' (minus the S. Vanhouttei part)? If so, it is everywhere here in Jacksonville. Even Lowes and Home Depot are carrying it. See link below - link included only to show that Lowes carries the plant.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes Plant Guide - Wendy's wish

o

Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' and Salvia 'Van Houttei' (sometimes known as Salvia splendens 'Van Houtteii) are quite different. The photo on your link is of 'Wendy's Wish'.

o

What is S. vanhouttei Wendy's Wish (from the first post)? Is it the same as Salvia 'Van Houttei'/Salvia splendens 'Van Houttei'?

o

Think Richard is mistaken, no such thing as S. vanhouttei 'Wendy's Wish'.

WW is a hybrid, nobody certain of the parents, but possibly buchananii x splendens. (chiapensis could be another parent...heaven knows how to describe the promiscuity of Salvias in Australia......moving on!) The splendens MAY be vanhouttei....but Wendy's Wish is just Wendy's Wish, and I would prefer that spidermites did not like this beauty so much!!!

o

This thread has gone OT..partly my fault...re plant patency..Rich, contact Donald...he has posted about this on the Hummingbird Forum, especially re Salvia 'Amistad'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here