Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casi_gw

help with Savia N. Plumosa

casi
13 years ago

I have asked this before, anyone have any suggestions for managing Plumosa variety. I have figured out for myself that they seem do do better planted together than spaced. In the area I planted them together they fell together and look really beautiful. In another area that I spaced them they just look long and lanky. Has anyone ever cut them back early in the season to try and keep them more mangageable? I also have a problem area where they seem to be dying from underneath....like they are being squashed out they are so heavy. Appreciate any help I can get. They continue to be my favorite!

Comments (3)

• robinmi_gw
    13 years ago

Salvia nemorosa var. plumosa can be quite a difficult plant....it is here, in England. It is quite hardy, as long as it is in well-drained soil. But it is naturally untidy, as the large inflorescences cause the flowering stems to collapse under their own weight. Dead-heading after the 1st flush of flowers should encourage it to flower again. Good luck! At the initial flowering stage, it is stunning.....but seems to rapidly deteriorate, unfortunately.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

I tried growing it here in Texas with no luck at all. I do not have much luck with S. nemerosa of any type.

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

This is not surprising, since this group of sages comes from European alpine areas and are not adapted to hot, humid nights.

Sponsored