Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dariotjr

salvia ID 2

DariotJr
18 years ago

Here is another salvia I would be interested to know which one exactly is.

This one I photographed in UCBerkeley botanical garden last October in full bloom (I noticed the same plants in spring and early summer had no flowers).

It formed a lax shrub around 2 feet high, and it had very brittle stems.

The flowers were blue (the purple in the picture is due to light and camera)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

Just a thought, could this possibly Salvia trijuga, from China?

Robin.

• DariotJr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Robin,
    the flowers look like that, but the plant was in the Mesoamerican section of the garden (and they are quite strict about that, you only find plants of that area there)

• cait1
    18 years ago

Looks like what we here in Australia call 'Tammy', short for Tamaulipas the place in Mexico is originates from. I'm not sure if they've actually named the species yet. It is a beauty. I got it in March, our fall, and it's still flowering.

Cait

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

I believe I just saw this salvia in Cabrillo College Salvia Photos. Salvia Sp. (Tamaulipas, Mexico).

• DariotJr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think you're right! I found a picture of 'Tammy' in Sue Templeton's nursery website (link below) and it looks exactly like the one in Berkeley, both leaves and flowers! Thanks for your help Cait. Do you have a pic of your own Tammy that you can post?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tammy

• cait1
    18 years ago

Hi. I do have a pic but being completely computer illiterate and even after reading every help I can find and looking through the instructions and test forum, I have no idea how to attached it to this message. Sorry. If you can enlighten me I'd be happy to attach the pic.
    Cait

• DariotJr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am quite computer illiterate myself... I'll tell you the way I managed to do that (I only found out 10 days ago).
    First subscibe to www.photobucket.com (I think there are other websites for this too but photobucket is good enough). After you do that, you get a homepage where you can transfer your pictures from your pc to your webpage. The pictures that you transfer appear on your page, along with their URL adress. Copy that adress and paste it in the Optional Link URL space that appears on the forum when you are posting a follow-up message.
    I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.

p.s. all you computermaniacs out there, don't make fun of me after this description lol

• cait1
    18 years ago

Well, for some reason photobucket hasn't sent me a confirmation email so I couldn't use that one BUT I found another one and actually had to create my own web page!!! How's that for someone who don't know nuthin 'bout posting pics. I've been working on this for hours (with breaks in between) and really need to learn pc's better. I did test it out and it worked, fingers crossed it does now.
    I've been checking for seed but haven't fount any YET! I have asked 'Tammy' to produce seed and will keep you posted if I get any.
    Thanks for your help and real happy I'm not alone when it comes to the mysteries of pc's.
    Cait

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia sp Tamaulipas

• DariotJr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Cait for all the trouble you got into, so that 'Tammy' can go online! It surely is a nice Salvia, thanks for id-ing it :-)

Sponsored