Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakster

What did I buy? (pic)

dakster
16 years ago

This was labeled as Salvia Salvino... but I bought it because to my untrained eye, it looked like something else. So tell me..what do I have?

Comments (10)

• ninamora
    16 years ago

Tis indeed Salvia Salvino, a hybrid cross of an annual and a perrennial Salvia. Mine bloomed just like yours.
    Nina

• ramazz
    16 years ago

I haven't seen this one. It is very pretty. Is it considered an annual?

Becky

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

It looks like S. sinoalensis to me. Do you know who the parents are?

• dakster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all your responses..I wanted to make sure that was really what I bought. I'm a newbie to plants in general and I don't know all the names things can be labeled as.

Not sure who the parents are..I bought it at a place called Comstock Ferre in my hometown..they are an amazing inventory of seed.

Where I live in CT I believe it is considered an annual, although on the little ID Stick it states it is a cross b/w annual and perennial.
    It also ID's it as: Salvia "Salvino Blue" KLESA05253

Do you think this plant will be successful in attracting hummingbirds? I know all salvias are not created equal in that sense.

In the next couple of years I will be constructing a hummer garden, and I need to do my research, as well as become an expert on over wintering plants seeing it can get expensive to buy all at once. I learned a lesson last year with my Salvia Hot Lips..*sigh*..that was a sad day.

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Dakster:

I highly recommend the seed and plant exchanges if you don't already frequent them. Lots of generous people will be willing to share seeds/plants to help your hummer garden grow.

As for the attractiveness of your salvino, how large are the flowers? I have found (and my experience is limited) that salvias with smaller flowers tend to attract more bees and butterflies than hummingbirds.

Becky

• dakster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hrm..well I'd say the blooms are about the same size as the Salvia Hot Lips, if anyone is familiar with that one. So I'd say they are on the scale of small to medium sized.

Is the plant in question also called Black & Blue?

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

It also looks like Salvia sinaloensis to me, I can see reddish leaves. Sinaloensis is perennial, but often treated as an annual as it is difficult to over-winter.

Robin.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

I finally got my sinaloensis to overwinter in a slightly raised, sandy area at the base of a pine tree. Morning sun, bright deciduous shade in the afternoon. It's a fairly large patch now, 5 or 6 years later. I've read of people getting it through winter as far north as Kansas, but I imagine there's mulch and maybe a little luck involved. If this is sinaloensis, it might be worth a shot in the right spot.

BTW, I saw your companion post on the Hummingbird forum. This is most definitely not S. guaranitica 'Black and Blue'. The hummingbirds love Black and Blue, but I haven't seen them at the sinaloensis.

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Comstock Ferre is part of Sunny Border Nurseries, and there are references to this source on Google searches of Salvia Salvino. Pierre Bennerup is in the management there, and I will ask him if he knows if it is patented and what the parents are. I suspect it is a cross of S. sinaloensis with glechomiifolia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Salvino at Sunny Border Nurseries

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

It looks like S. sinoalensis to me. I bought one not realizing it would freeze. If I find it again, I will put in a better location and mulch. I loved it.

Peggy

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts