Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramazz_gw

Purple rain

ramazz
16 years ago

I planted salvia verticillata "purple rain" from seed last year and they didn't do much. But wow, they have certainly taken off this year. I think I could take the shrubs out and just let "purple rain" take over. Here is a picture of one of mine:

Becky

Comments (13)

• youreit
    16 years ago

I agree - let it take over! LOL That is one gorgeous plant, Becky.

Brenda

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! It is one of several. I had no idea it would spread so much.

Becky

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

Becky,

This has been quite popular in the UK for some years. BUT, I would suggest a bit of caution, when 2 years old, it can get extremely untidy, and seeds around everywhere. It tends to stop flowering here mid-summer, sprawling stems everywhere, and a gaping hole in the middle. Cutting back after flowering will encourage a more tidy plant, also a good chance of repeat flowering. Should you keep it for some time, and then decide to replace it, it is a devil to dig up!

Enjoy it anyway, and I hope my somewhat negative comments don't put you off!

Robin.

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Robin:

Thanks for the advice - I have already discovered the tap root. I will try to avoid some of the seeding problem by cutting it back as you suggest. I have planted a lot of new salvias this year so it will have competition. What happens when they are all fighting for the same space? :-)

Becky

• youreit
    16 years ago

That sounds like a win-win situation, Becky, because regardless, a Salvia will prevail. :D

Brenda

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda:

Do you have one of these? If not, would you like one? It is obvious that I am going to have them taking over my yard very soon. . .

Becky

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

This sage is a good honeybee forage plant.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Becky, no, I don't, and hopefully, you've got mail! :)

Brenda

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rich:

Great! I should have a lot of happy honeybees. I notice that salvia napifolia has a similar flower, so I am wondering if it will be a similar looking plant. My napifolia plants are blooming in their first year.

Becky

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

Well I LOVED my Purple Rain and it grew for 2 years and then this year it just disappeared!!! I was so disappointed! Has anyone else just lost theirs like that! I have no idea why either. Poof gone!

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Many European sages are alpine and tap rooted. After 3 to 7 years, they generally die out from exhaustion. The whole vascular system has to flow through an old, over sized, and overtaxed central point as well as use an old root system. They can sometimes be saved by division and replanting. Layering, which is a strategy used by many New World sages, is uncommon with Old World sages.

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This plant produces so much seed - I would assume that Mother Nature expects the new generation to take over. Actually, it is a relief to hear that the 4 purple rain plants won't take over my entire front yard! Brenda, maybe I should just send you the seed rather than the plant and then yours would live longer!

Becky

• youreit
    16 years ago

That sounds like a plan, Becky! Especially since I just found out that there are tons of restrictions on any live plants/cuttings coming into California. Seed is good. :)

Brenda

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living