Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What salvia is this one?

Posted by ellieandethansmom 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 16:47

This is another double post from name that plant forum, it is a salvia that was overwintered from fall cutting. The leaves are fuzzy with a nice tall blue stalk of flowers. The leaves are staying very compact at the bottom. It is also suffering from something (yellowing leaves and slow growth). Thanks for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant in lower left corner of picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What salvia is this one?

I can see your problem. Perhaps it's salvia incomprehesibilis or stangii? Worst comes to worst, you get to name it. It does remind me a bit of Indigo Spires under some sort of stress.

o

I looks like S.'Blue Chiquita' to me. Actually 'Blue Chiquita' and 'Indigo Spires' share one parent, Salvia longispicata, so their flowers look a little bit similar. Check a pic of it in Plant Delights Nursery's website.

DJR from Athens, Greece

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Chiquita

o

Dariot, thanks for the link, the term "deep quilting" fits the leaves perfectly along with fuzzy texture, but they do not have the shiny silver underside. Maybe that develops over time . . . or if it is not struggling for life.

If it is Chiquita, and it survives the summer, I will need to bring it in for the winter--as it is out of my zone.

o

So if it is Chiquita, why is it blooming now? I guess it's possible as short daylight period salvias reach the end of their season. It's a puzzle.

By the way DJR, are new world salvias popular in Greek gardens, and who polinates them - sphinx moths?

o

This can happen happen sometimes, especially if you have an extended period of clouding and more often in small plants. Here in Greece, where we don't usually see many cloudy days from May till October I don't usually get this. But if you've been for example in San Francisco you can see most short daylight period salvias flowering year round! Maybe it is a combination of daylight and temperatures as well.

New world salvias are not very popular here, even though they do extremely well in our climate (I've been adding to my collection for the last 5 years and I never found one that couldn't grow well!). Only S.microphylla var.lemmonii is quite common in gardens.
Pollination happens by bees but only to those they can make it. They never set a lot of seeds.

On the other hand old world salvias and particularly our natives like fruticosa, sclarea, nemorosa etc. are quite popular.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here