Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia ID and How to Control?

Posted by farmboy1 4/5 west of Chicago (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 17:08

Greetings....

I've been on some of the other forums for a while, but now I'm trying to find out more about some salvias I ended up taking home from a property that was being re-landscaped.

First, I'm kind of wondering what kind of salvia they are (May NIght?), as they have done very well the past couple of years.

Second, this year they seem to have exploded in growth and have lost their nice round shape and fallen down. Is there a way I can keep them from expanding out like this and falling down, possibly by deadheading?

I would like to give them a more prominent place in my yard, but would need to be able to control them a bit better.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia ID and How to Control?

This looks like a typical Salvia nemerosa, and that behavior is normal. The best way to deal with the old growth flopping is to cut it back after blooming. Also this may be a good time to divide the clump.

o
RE: Salvia ID and How to Control?

• Posted by farmboy1 4/5 west of Chicago (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 23:30

Thanks, Rich!

Now that I know exactly what they are, I can better maintain them.

These were small when I transplanted them, and they have been very popular with bees, butterflies and other insects.

I have a couple of boxwoods by my front walkway that suffered a lot of winter dieback, and I want to replace them with something that flowers and is attractive to bees, etc. It would be the perfect spot for these as it has plenty of room, good soil, sunlight, etc.

So now I know one of the things I'll be doing this weekend...

vince

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here