Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Habitat of S,longistyla

Posted by hybridsage Zone 8 Austin Tx (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 17:22

Where is this Salvia from? In our Heat (100 +)upper 70's
at night. I have it in the shade and it still is looking stressed.
Art

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Habitat of S,longistyla

This is an enormous, almost thuggish, Mexican Salvia. Occasionally named as S. tubifera or S. jorgehintoniana. It is quite widespread in several Mexican provinces.

It is a cloud forest Salvia, and does not like direct sunlight. Also, it is not hardy, and is winter-flowering. In frost-free conditions it can become extremely invasive, not unlike S. cinnabarina.

In full flower, in a suitable climate, in winter months, it can be spectacular! Here in the UK, it is hopeless, even under glass. To see it at its best, look at www.salvias.com.ar there, in Buenos Aires, NOT its natural habitat, it has been superb!

o

Robin Thanks ! The plant came from Rich. What I was remembering it that it was cloud forest plant. So up goes
the humidity level for this one. We will check with Rolado
too. Thank You again!
Art

o

Art,

Mine gets afternoon sun here. Doesnt wilt much either. When Robin says massive, its true. I planted a small cutting and 6 months later it was 8ft tall. I have to prop up all of the braches because of the wind here. huge stems. Waiting for the winter show!

Brent

o

Brent what are your night time temps?
How long do you stay in the upper 90's?
So far we have been 98 -106 temps for a month + .We still
have 2-3 Months of this to go I am having to water my greggii's once a week just to keep them alive.
Art

o

We are in the 90-105 range from now until sept. Our night temps will be from upper 60's to 70's from now on. I am a step down from you. I cut my down in a month or so to conserve water and get a heavy fall bloom. I do this with anything that wilts bad in mid winter. I just dont cut them to the ground.

Brent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here