Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
salvia with purple flowers

Posted by ramazz 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 18:42

Here is another one I am not sure of. It is more upright than transylvanica and the flowers are a bit more purple than blue. I planted seeds for hians, forskaohlei and przewalskii, but it doesn't look like a match for any of those.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: salvia with purple flowers

It is definitely Section Plethiosphace, which includes pratensis, transsylvanica, nererosa, and a lot of others. This is what I imagined transsylvanica to look like.

o

So I guess I have a lot of variation in the transylvanica seeds. The other plants are not nearly so upright - actually rather floppy - and the flowers on this one are more purple.

Becky

o

Becky--- The leaves on that plant are similar to the leaves on my foxglove that the bees seem to like so it must have a good deal of nectar. I didnt do well with my agastache this spring , but I know what my problem was , overwatering, but Im determined to have the shades of orange and I germinated more since I had the seeds . I now have six 4 and 1/2 inch pots of them that are doing well growing and looking good. Good luck to me on this batch.

o

Looks like my transsylvanica

o

WOW! my one didn't look like that!

o

Well, I have a lot more transsylvanicas than I thought I did. All but this one look the same and are more sprawling, and have bluer flowers. That is why I thought it might be something else. I am beginning to think that some of my seeds were mislabeled, since I don't recall having that many transsylvanica seedlings.

Steve - it is definitely a salvia - it is from Eastern Europe, so it looks different than the B&Bs and coccineas.

Becky

o

I grew my transsylvanica from Burpee seeds and they do not look like the one pictured above. Mine spawl and do not have any leaves as large as those basal leaves.

o

I checked my old scanned images and found some of Salvia baldshuanica Lipsky from Tajikistan that looks identical to your plant.

There is a downloadable PDF of biodiversity of Tajikistan (Part III, English version) which mentions this sage at
http://www.cbd.int/doc/world/tj/tj-nr-01-p03-en.pdf

o

I am just back from vacation and saw this. I am not sure what to label this plant now! I have two of them which are producing a ton of seeds and I don't want to confuse other people! I have never heard of Salvia baldshuanica but if you say that's what is is, Rich, I will go ahead and change the name on my list.

Becky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here