Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peterls

Salvia sclarea

peterls
15 years ago

I have been reading a book by professor Deno on seed germination and he mentions a 60 cm form and a seperate 180 cm form of S. sclarea. I would say mine were between these two heights.

Are there two recognised strains?

Comments (8)

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

I am not an authority on the subject,but from observations
    of the genius as a whole. Climate in general plays a key role in a plants stature. I have seen the same cultivar
    in different climates be variable in size. You may compare
    notes with Robin Middleton in the UK. I am also sure being
    grown from seed will have some impact the variance in the size discrepancy your having.

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

There are short forms of Salvia sclarea in the trade. Jim & Jenny Archibald have collected a giant form of sclarea in Turkey and it was released many years ago through the Denver Botanical Garden as a secondary US source as well as their list.

• peterls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Hybridsage and Rich. Is the giant form commercially available? - it sounds nice.

What you are both saying sounds like sense. I read a book on genetic variability of natural species a while ago. It made the point, which is fairly obvious in retrospect, that the definition of a species can be rather a grey matter, rather than black and white. Surveys by the author and others showed that within a species there could be considerable variation in size, leaf shape etc according to the conditions where it was growing. But a lot of this variation was maintained when seeds from these differant plants were all grown together in trial beds, indicating that this variability was genetic.

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Check JJA Seeds you will need to contact them see if they
    have some available yet.

• peterls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks hybridsage - I have just had a look at their site, which is new to me, so I have saved the address. They don't have any on offer at present, but I will watch the site and see what Salvias they do have. As I already have a normal sized S sclarea, I can't, in all honesty, put it at the top of my list at the moment. But I might be tempted by something else!

• peterls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have just had a closer Google of JJA seeds and they appear to have a rather poor feedback.

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Seed collectors operate on a seasonal basis. They are probably out in the field harvesting seeds, either in their own gardens or in the wild. This is the case with Southwestern Native Seeds. The latter have several times of the year when they are not available for correspondence. It may take J&J a while to answer mail, but they are very reliable and well known and respected by rock garden enthusiasts.

• peterls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Rich. It looks a good site for seeds, and that has put my mind at rest. It fits with half the feedback saying very good, and the other half saying they couldn't be contacted.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH