Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
river_crossroads

Black stems on salvia

Hi all,

I cut off stems with black on them from Coral Nymph and Purple Majesty next to it today. Leaves on the blackened stems were withered but the plants look healthy & the black on the stems does not scrape off. We have had a lot of rain (dangerous flooding in San Antonio) and probably my salvia is too close to each other. No easy solution on space as I have either too much sun or too little sun in other locations.

Purple Majesty probably on left and Coral Nymph on right - only these 2 with black stems so far.

Purple Majesty plant is peeking around pot on right

L to R below: Van Remsen, Coral Nymph, Purple Majesty (not in bloom)

Salvia has been blooming and looking good, see pictures of blooms on link. Coral Nymph is a local plant, Purple Majesty and Van Remsen arrived as beautiful specimens from Rich Dufresne last July, Amistad pictured arrived this April from Flowers by the Sea looking great.

Pictures on link - pot of Amistad is temporarily placed next to Purple Majesty for picture & color comparison - normally much more space between them.

WhatâÂÂs with the black stems? What should I do? Thanks so much, River

P.S. I have the plants staked. Maybe there was pressure on those stems? But other staked stems look ok.

Here is a link that might be useful: My salvia in bloom - see captions

This post was edited by river_crossroads on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 8:40

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington