Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My plant survived the winter!

Posted by huachuma Z9 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 19:56

I know it sounds a bit funny to be saying that on summer solstice, but I just discovered it today...

It's a species of Salvia which will remain un-named in the interest of not drawing folks to this site, who might otherwise be led here by Google results (yes it's THAT species).

Two autumns ago I decided to try an experiment. I took a cutting off one of my two plants that I overwinter in a greenhouse. After rooting, I planted it amidst my bamboo plants in the tropical garden. I placed a small tomato cage around it and filled it with leaves.

The next spring I uncovered the plant and was delighted to see that it survived with a few leaves and about 5" of green stem.

Then last fall I decided to take my experiment a step further... I provided absolutely no protection and let the poor thing absorb the brunt of our fairly mild winter. Temps got down to about 30 degrees F. a half dozen nights this past winter and around January I noticed that the stem was totally brown down to the soil level.

I figured it was toast...

Periodically throughout the spring I would notice the pathetic stick still standing there between the bamboo culms and nearly clipped it off a couple of times.

But today, as I was weeding around the area, I noticed unmistakeable Salvia leaves just starting to emerge from the soil about 1/2" away from last year's stem!

As Robin mentioned in a recent thread, the plant itself is naturally leggy and not especially attractive, but the flowers are to die for.

My next attempt will be to try to get the plant in the ground to flower, rather than relying on my greenhouse plants to provide a thrill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My plant survived the winter!

Lets us know how your experiment turns out.
Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here