Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
foamy stuff on salvia

Posted by prairie_love z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 20:47

Hi,

My Salvias - May Night and Caradonna - are just starting to come into full bloom here in North Dakota and I've noticed a foamy/sudsy stuff on the flower stems. Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm assuming it's from an insect or disease, but can't find it by searching google.

I am out of town right now, but if this description doesn't lead us to an answer I can take a photo when I return.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: foamy stuff on salvia

Spittle bug egg masses. I sometimes get them on S. greggii. Just hose them off.

o

The nymph stage of the froghopper (aka spittlebug) protects itself from predators by covering itself with the 'foam' you describe. As a youngster (which in my heart I still am) I knew the foam by the name 'cuckoo spit'. You can either either remove the foam by hand and give the nymph a terminal squeeze or hose the foam and nymph off as desertsage suggests although the creature is quite nimble and it may return. A systemic insecticide gives a long term prevention.

Jim

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 16:56

I've fought them for years and seen quite a bit of damage done by the nymphs as they attack the plant's xylem layer and I wouldn't suggest either hosing or a systemic. As noted, they are mobile enough to quickly return if hosed off. The problem with systemics are the damage they do to the beneficals and the hummingbirds and other wildlife that are drawn to 'May Night' and other sages.

Handpicking and K-based insecticidal soap application are my suggestions. For the insecticidal soap, a strong stream is necessary to penetrate the foam and kill the nymph.

o

Thank you all!

LOL at the name - spittle bug - how fitting!

I hate to use systemics for the reasons cited by dicot, so will probably try the hosing first. If that doesn't work I'll move to the insecticidal soap.

Handpicking - I'm not sure what I'm looking for but will do a google search and figure it out.

Thanks again.

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 20:24

Oops, all I meant by "handpicking" is using your fingers to squish the bugs. It grosses most people out, but it's how I kill most of the spittle bug nymphs.

o

Here's what you're looking for. This one is about 1/8" long.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here