Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do You Know Anything About Mexican Bush Sage?

Posted by just_me_6 WV - 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 21:22

I moved to zone 6 recently and have heavy clay soil in my new yard. I would love to plant Mexican Sage here but don't know much about it.

Will it do okay in clay soil?
Will it survive the winter?
Any other tips you can give me for growing this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
I Forgot These Two Questions

Could Mexican Sage do okay if it doesn't get full sun?
Can you think of any good companion plants for Mexican Sage?

o
RE: Do You Know Anything About Mexican Bush Sage?

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 4:26

If that is Salvia leucantha, Mexican bush sage, it does very well in clay soils. It may die back to the soil, but should come back in Spring unless it was exceptionally cold. I prefer the S. leucantha "midnight" which is an all-purple flower stem.

I don't know your zone well enough to suggest companions - in CA, poppies, primrose, verbena and other sages look good with it. I have it next in front of Tagetes lemonnii (lemon marigold bush) and the purple and gold look great together.

o

It rarely survives the winter in my zone 7 garden. I usually grow them in large pots and keep the pots next to the garage for quick shelter when a frost or freeze is expected. They usually last until almost Christmas. I grow them alone in their pots, but since they normally don't flower until October you could grow anything you want at the edge of the pot.

o

So if I planted Mexican Bush Sage in the ground in Zone 6, it would be an annual and wouldn't come back next year?

Hmmmmm. . . . what about catmint? Would it reliably come back as a perennial here?

o

Many Nepeta species are quite hardy in USDA Zones 5 and colder.

o

I have had Salvia leucantha come back three years in a row here in zone 7a NC but this past winter the weather was too freaky and it didn't make it. I think the unseasonably warm weather and then the swings in temperature did it in since I treated as I had the previous three winters when it surivived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here